Old 08-28-2015   #11
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
This is what I've been leaning towards - (Robens Klondike Tipi Tent 2015 |

I really like the raised sides for a little more room - I know it has a floor but I kind of like the idea, though I can see the beauty of no floor when its wet. There are other folks making "Bell tents" with removable floors, but they are mostly canvas, which I'd like to stay away from.

Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015   #12
Columbia Falls, Montana
Look at the Arctic Oven produced in Fairbanks, AK. They are rather pricey but worth every penny. We used one this past winter at 30 below and it was amazing!

MSW9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015   #13
Columbia Falls, Montana
Here's the link:
MSW9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015   #14
Minden, Nevada
Paddling Since: 1961
I like mtndocdanny's tent. I have used wall tents with wood stoves for 35 years and have had 2 tipis, a Baker tent and Whelen lean to.

A floor is unnecessary especially in weather cool enough to use a stove. Having a wood stove changes everything in colder weather. Then you can dry out your clothes, your bedding and get the chill out of the bones. For those that have not tried a canvas tent with a stove it is a big deal to feel one for the first time.

I have had winter parties with tents and stoves for almost 40 years.
People that run rivers in the off-season like steelhead fishermen, are the guys that should pay attention to this topic. You will need less ice and a smaller cooler, bring a heavier tent and a collapsible stove instead.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015   #15
Evereywhere, State of Bliss
Paddling Since: 2000
what about ice shelters

I was looking at an easy pop up like an ice fishing tent. Floorless and I've seen some people's modification to have a wood stove.
CLAM Ice Fishing Shelters | Portable Ice Fishing Shelter

Here's a look an ice shelter being used to camp with a stove. Not too expensive and I can't imagine the modification is too hard.

Eskimo vs. Shappell vs. Frabil Hub Shelters

I'm going on a December Grand Canyon trip and have been looking into a hot tent situation that isn't too difficult to deal with. These stoves look awesome as well..

Portable Wood Stoves For The Hunter or Camper From Ellis Manufacturing

Lets get some more ideas goin here!
tteton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015   #16
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
I've used Arctic Oven tents (Alaska Tent and Tarp) and they're excellent for extreme cold weather. They are also really heavy and expensive.

I have a friend with a silnylon tipi (who also spend lots of nights in an Arctic Oven) and he loves his tipi with woodstove. He mule-packs so weight is an issue.
denachuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015   #17
Custom Whitewater Equipme
Central Point, Oregon
Here is a rough time laps from our trip to the Hulahula River in ANWR.
Attached Files
May the water be under your boat and the wind at your back.
Whitewater Worthy Equip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015   #18
Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I use the Sierra Designs mountain guide tarp as well as a MSR pavilion. Seek outside sewed in stove jacks to both of these for me. I made my wood stove out of an ammo can and all the chimney parts (Kni-Co) nest inside the can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5070.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	10472   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5072.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	10473  

tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015   #19
Minden, Nevada
Paddling Since: 1961
I went on a hunting trip and stayed in my friend's Cabela's Alaknak. I cannot recommend this tent. It does not breathe because it is single wall coated nylon. It is dark and gloomy in dark green. The side walls are too short. It takes at least as long to set up as a wall tent.

A small canvas wall tent or Baker tent are worth considering. The tipi designs are simple to set up with only one pole. The old range tipis are handy also.
ppine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015   #20
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
I've had my MSR twin brother with a Ti-Goat stove jack sewed in at Rainy Pass Repair in Seattle for several years now, with the knick-co packer stove. Sets up in about 10 minutes with 1 person. Great for 2 with cots and gear, or 5 dudes sitting in their under shorts drinking cocktails at 15 degrees outside (which we lovingly refer to as pervert hot tent stew). Tent weighs 6 pounds or so with stakes and poles. Stove fits in an NRS Fire Pan bag (really) and goes in my regular dry box, with ax, shovel and kindling and hardwood lumber scraps. I load Bear Bricks in 2 - 20mm cans (square forest byproduct wood stove logs made only with compressed sawdust in Hood River, OR). The wood in the dry box plus the bear bricks easily make fire in the morning and at night for a 3 night steelhead trip on the Grande Ronde. In the winter when its is real cold, steelhead don't bite very good till the sun gets on the water, have a pile of kindling and wood ready to load in the stove in the morning, get up and light, then throw the coffee water pot on the wood stove. Slowly get going and have some coffee and hot cereal, BS for a while and slowly pack up. By then the sun is up and time to fish. Slay fish the rest of the afternoon. Get to camp about 4pm, setup tent, lite stove and proceed to drink hot totties, while you heat up some homemade stew on the stove. Its that simple.

The only draw back to the MSR twin brother is that it could be about 3 inches taller, or I could be 3 inches shorter, the latter of which is harder to accomplish. I am 6' tall, if you were 5.8 or 5.9 it would be perfect.

shappattack is online now   Reply With Quote