home made rescue ladder - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-09-2013   #1

home made rescue ladder

$15 in material cost: $4 1" pvc caps (6 pcs), $5 1" schedule 80 pvc electrical pipe 10' stick, $6 bungee cords. 6' rope and nonslip tape had it laying around.
time: 1.25 hours
how I did it: cut 3 pcs pipe 18" and drill holes to fit your rope, drill holes in caps to fit your bungee, thread rope thru bottom wrung (I taped it to hold in place), make a piece of wire with hook end and pull 6" loop of rope out each end of pipe, repeat with each wrung, tie bungee cord to each loop (I used a clove hitch and electrical tape on lose end of knot taping it to the main bungee line) and thread free end of bungee back thru the pipe so it sticks out, put bungee thru cap, pull snuggly and tie knot. the bungee pulls the loop of rope into the pipe and allows the rope to feed out thru the holes in the pipe when weight is applied. I cut the rope on the bottom wrung and tied it off , I added to loops in the anchor side of the ladder rope. add non slip tape. the knots from tying the bungee to main rope keep the wrungs from sliding on the main line. to collapse the ladder once opened just help feed the rope back into the holes, the bungee will help pull it in.
It may be crude but inexpensive. hopefully I won't have to test it during my upcoming winter grand trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2648.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	916.8 KB
ID:	7431   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2634.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	924.0 KB
ID:	7432  

Name:	IMG_2636.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	967.2 KB
ID:	7433   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2637.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	892.3 KB
ID:	7434  

Name:	IMG_2635.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	820.9 KB
ID:	7435   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2639.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	835.6 KB
ID:	7436  

Name:	IMG_2640.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	820.9 KB
ID:	7437   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2645.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	992.2 KB
ID:	7439  

Name:	IMG_2647.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	897.0 KB
ID:	7440  

mrkyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2013   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Very creative. I wonder how it will handle silt.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013   #3

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
I like it. I see one in my future. I'm wondering how well the knots keep the rung from sliding down the rope. Have you tested it by attaching it to something and standing on the rungs?
Guiltydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #4

Los Alamos, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1962
Thanks, Helena, Montana. Your concept is where I started about 10 years ago in developing the only self-stowing raft entry ladder. Rafters are so inventive and self-sufficient. I run into this every day, "What I do is...." Yeah, I used to do it that way, too. Time is too short for me now. I do it better than I used to. Here's what I do now after 5 years of development and 13 years of field testing: Clearly I design machines better than I do videos. hahahaha

You ought to mention in your clear and well illustrated description that not all bungee cords act the same. Some might not work as required. Consider elongation, retracted tension, extended tension, lifting power, diameter and so forth.

Maybe I'll improve my design based on your suggestions. My patent will still be valid.
MyDadisARaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #5

Los Alamos, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1962
Raft Entry Ladders -- The future is 10 years ago

My commercially purchased ladder has been engineered and tested to 750 pounds at its weakest point. It should handle twice that load. See the video. I'm sure the makeshift version will handle silt as well as mine does. There's no sliding or slipping with mine. In the early days of development I used some knots. Now I do better.

Regardless of how you relate to cost vs. utility vs. re-inventing the wheel, a well-engineered ladder (to virtually eliminate entanglement hazard and provide user-free stowage) is useful for ladies' mid-river urination needs, recreational swims, and self-rescue whether right side up or the other way (if rigged according to instructions).

Dr. Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltydog View Post
I like it. I see one in my future. I'm wondering how well the knots keep the rung from sliding down the rope. Have you tested it by attaching it to something and standing on the rungs?
MyDadisARaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #6

Hi,

Props to the OP for ingenuity and enterprise. I'm sure that his design will work for many folks.

But I would add that I'm a big guy -- 270# -- and I own two of Yeamans' Rescue Rungs. I've had occasion to use a rung twice on the Grand. It very capably handled my weight, and retracted well in consideration of the silty conditions it had been soaked in for several weeks. The reliability factor would seem to be a significant issue, particularly as to safely retracting after deployment, which is after all, the reason to use something like this instead of simpler designs.

The cost differential between this and a Rescue Rung is significant. But if you think about what a good oar shaft/blade combination costs, it's not out of proportion to the benefit obtained.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #7

I gave it my full weight test (185) and there was no slippage in the rungs. In reality all I really need is the bottom rung to get a foot on and I am able to get back in the boat. For this to retract after extension you need to feed the rope back into the tubes as the bungies pull it in. But since I made to extend and get me back in the raft, the retactabilty wasn't a major focus. I think it's an improvement over using a loop strap hanging over the side or trying to climb back in without any aid.
I've never seen a commercially made one in person. Hopefully the cease and desist request won't be in Dr Y's next post.
Hey Dr Y, checkout my old thread " getting ready for the grand", you should develop my "Grover hanger". It worked great last dec and will be going again with me in January.
mrkyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #8

Farmington, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2000
You could just save yourself the time and energy and learn how to pull your ass back into the boat....
rgAHOLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #9

irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgAHOLE View Post
You could just save yourself the time and energy and learn how to pull your ass back into the boat....
Hey ahole, I'm thinking you could save the buzz time and energy by shoving yourself back into the Hershey wrapper.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013   #10

Farmington, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2000
That doesn't even make sense. Hershey wrapper? Neither does a rescue ladder, though. If you can't get back in raft - try a different sport. Maybe bowling...fat people seem to be really good at that.
rgAHOLE is offline   Reply With Quote