Old 06-06-2016   #41
St. George, Utah
Paddling Since: 1974
Rescur Ladder

I have the two step on my Avon Pro about the same size tubes. Works fine, just be sure you rig it per the directions so it works in both upright and inverted. I used it after a flip at the bottom of Lava and was on top of the boat, had my passenger out of the water and bow line ready to deploy before I got to Lower Lava, they work.

dsrtrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016   #42
cedar city, Utah
Just bought the Netty version for our upcoming trip. Will eventually save up enough $$ for the retractable ones but hard to drop $200-$400 right now on them. I don't worry too much about having such items on low to medium water but I have seen how difficult it can be for a fit person to get onto a raft at high, pushy flows and they seem like another tool in the toolbox to deploy in the right moments.

I sometimes forget how expensive this "hobby" can be.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016   #43
Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
My kids love the Netty ladder for swimming. I'm gonna put one on my paddle cat too as its a big climb over 23" tubes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016   #44
spokane, Washington
Paddling Since: 1984
I run the 3 rung Rescue Step on a Maravia Mistral. Seemed to me after purchase the two rung would be been fine but I do use all three steps. Works great.
lll100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016   #45
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I bought the "Nettie Ladder Bag" a while back but hadn't used it till my Grand trip last month. I actually keep it in the pocket of my lifejacket with a carabiner attached so its as easy as unzipping and clipping it on wherever on the boat is most convenient for you when you need it. Most of my straps are from and he sews d-rings into every one, so there are many clip points to choose from (frame straps, oar straps, etc). It easily hauls my large frame out of the water.

I haven't had to use it yet beyond jumping out to cool off in flatwater, but know it was nice to know I had it. I'm sure for some they can just climb in, but for me it is definitely safer and easier with the ladder.

I may be a big guy, but I know I'm a great boatmen and definitely am participating in the right sport.
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016   #46
Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
I have the 3 rung, and my wife and kids use it all the time. I have never needed it he ladder until I got my Greenjacket. The large clamshell on the front of the jacket hits the tube when I pull myself up and knocks me back down into the water. It's really bad when I've got their little throw rope tucked behind the clamshell. Thanks to the Greenjacket, I now use it quite a bit.
I do have it attached to the frame and not the handle like the inventor shows. The two rung might be ok if you attach it to the handle. After using it for 2 seasons I can say without hesitation to get the 3 rung. It's too hard to lift your leg onto the 2nd rung. Pulling the 3rd rung down makes it much easier to step onto it. I'd rather have too much than not enough.

Also, placing the ladder so that there is something to grab ahold of like a side rail or net after the top rung helps immensely to keep climbing out of the water. Finally, practice using it to get out in low stress, flat water before you try it in Lava. It took my kids several tries to get the knack. When climbing a rope ladder your feet want to go out in front of you. This prevents you from using your legs to lift yourself making it so you have to use your arms to do a pull up. If you can do pull ups, you wouldn't need the ladder anyway. So to climb it successfully, you have to use your core muscles to pull and maintain your feet underneath or even better behind you.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote