Mountain Buzz banner

Home made Dry Box

11K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  shappattack 
#1 ·
I attached link to photos of my first winter project, a home built dry box. 36" x 20" deep x 15" high and 29#s. It is splash proof, probably not flip proof (hope I never find out for sure). $100 and a couple of days work (not including drying time). I'm not much of a carpenter, but I'm more than satisfied with it.
Made with 1/4" plywood under flooring, 1"x2s", 2"x2s", stapled, glued and screwed. Painted with deck paint inside and out, then coated with clear Flex Seal on the outside.

https://1drv.ms/a/s!AjhGxrZSwKmdplSShqX-GzzKCngc

#8 ·
Those are rowframes towers - they give you a wider tower width but keep the oar locks at the optimal angle for vertical oar movement. Nice option for getting wider locks on a narrow boat... I need a pair for my little hyside.

#6 ·
I think the idea of running the strap under the lid is keen. That's why the hing does not run all the way. I have a couple wood boxes very similar to yours but never strapped them up like that. Makes scene. thanks for the post.

#9 ·
I think the idea of running the strap under the lid is keen. That's why the hing does not run all the way. I have a couple wood boxes very similar to yours but never strapped them up like that. Makes scene. thanks for the post.
I agree - brilliant. I'll be copying that little maneuver.

#7 ·
I attached link to photos of my first winter project....
Jeez, you've got one down and it's not even winter yet!

Nice work on the box!

I made one very similar to that a few years ago and it's not been wet inside yet! It's not been upside down either. I really like it, but the bottom of mine has seen better days. I would suggest some hdpe runners for sliding it on the rails, rocks and truck beds. At least my next one will have them. I thought about coating it with truck bed liner also, but I have not had great success with that on wood over the long term - I can't decide...

#13 ·
Nice work and thanks for sharing! About the oar towers....I'm scared I would bend those while in the middle of it
The frame is frame with 1.5" pipe (1.9" o.d.). Not the 1.25 pipe (1.66) and the towers have 5 set screws not the usual 3 to compensate for the additional for torsion. Some others maybe man enough to bend them, but not me:-(

#14 ·
I like it! I made a folding table a few years ago with a piano hinge but I concealed it inside the fold. Water worked its way into the threads of the small screws and the wood got soft and the screws have now begun falling out. Anything you can do to seal the hinge, maybe the Flex-Seal or silicone, will prolong the life. My table was made to fit in the bottom of a drop bag on my cat so it probably got wetter than your drybox will but it also wasn't subjected to the drying sun, which might be a good thing.

#15 ·
Very nice dry box!!
Especially like how you built it to just suspend from the cross rails.
One thing I found out with mine, was that I needed a drip edge all the way around, since I added that, and some better door seal, I have not gotten any moisture in it( keeping it right side up).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.