Old 04-24-2014   #11
Bozeman, Montana
Looks like a ~17' Briggs Colorado River Dory? Any obvious damage or wood rot? I dunno... decent condition maybe 3-5k. If I were you I'd keep it and let the boy row the raft. Shame selling that beauty, especially after so much hard work to build it, so many river miles, and yes, dories are downright sexy. Looks like she needs a name though.

Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #12
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
your dory is sexy!!! ps. check the hot sheet on sotars website!!! they always have screaming deals!!! if you haven't all ready. but they have rafts at like 20-25 percent off and I don't think you can find a better deal on a sotar!

GratefulOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #13
Bend, N'A
Paddling Since: 2000
rioperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #14
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991

I don't know values of dories persay, but I do still follow wood DB's and they have very little resale value... Fishing geeks don't want the hassle of wood and they all think wood is heavier (which is of course not true). I had mine decked out and originally asked what I thought was more than fair ~4K, I ended up selling it after a year for like 2200. In hind site it wasn't worth selling and I really wish I still had it. If it's possible to keep it, do! You will only regret selling it!

As for Sotars, you can find dealers that will custom order you a boat at 10-15% off if there's nothing on the hotsheet that strikes your fancy. Cheryl at Sotar is incredible to work with too!
Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #15
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by Schutzie View Post
It was me I'd go Hypalon, mainly cause that's what we had, and I think it tolerates being rolled better than PVC. I've never dealt with PVC. If you're looking at 5 people and gear for multi day, I might think about even an 18'.
Agreed. I've always had PVC boats, but they don't roll/store well.

16' minimum if you're still boating with teenagers, or a pair of 14's.

Originally Posted by Schutzie View Post
Or, you could do what I did and go to the dark side; get a ski or cruising boat. I enjoyed it almost as much, but about 1/10th the work, longer season, low water years don't hurt as much, and more comfort.
Absolutely! I love mine in the late summer when the flows are low, but the sun is hot. I live nearer a huge lake than the rivers, so it's stupid easy to take out on a hot summer night after work...and keep my weekends free for floating when the rivers are still flowing!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014   #16
Anchorage, Alaska
Paddling Since: 1990
All Good

I live in Alaska and have the NRS 14'E series - love it. Performs well in big water, skinny water and everything in between (assuming it's been loaded appropriately). My rafting partner has the AIRE 15'6"D - also a great boat. I've rowed both a lot and actually prefer the AIRE. It's a bit narrower on the inside due to bigger tubes but same overall width. Both boats are double tough. Neither ever been holed. And we row some pretty bony stuff. Both roll up just fine - we both store our boats rolled in the winter. Either can be rolled up by yourself.

All that said based on your needs I'd get the AIRE 16'DD or NRS 16' E series. The NRS is a bit wider but both have same size tubes. AIRE doesn't list it's "carrying capacity" but NRS lists the 16'E at about 1900 lbs - take with grain of salt. Both will serve you well and both very versatile - paddle or oar. They won't row as well as your Dory but they do other stuff better - life's all about choices.

Alaskajim is offline   Reply With Quote