Help fixing old Avon pressure relief valve - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-09-2016   #1

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 97
Help fixing old Avon pressure relief valve

Can anyone help id this pressure relief valve on my old Avon? It's leaking pretty bad but I don't know where to start to take it apart. Anyone have experience with this valve? The top of the valve is about the size of a quarter.

sockdolager is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2016   #2

C. Springs, Colorado
It screws in with somewhat fine threads. Soapy water might help you unscrew it.

What I've done is have a company like AAA or DRE replace it with the new style. They patch over the old hole and cut in a new hole and valve just in front of the old one.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016   #3

Longmont, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
It screws in with somewhat fine threads. Soapy water might help you unscrew it.

What I've done is have a company like AAA or DRE replace it with the new style. They patch over the old hole and cut in a new hole and valve just in front of the old one.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot today
Old 07-10-2016   #4

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
Let me correct me by saying I had both the floor valve and pressure relief valve done at the same time, upgrading to a C-7 vale and the new style pressure relief valve.

Hope you can get it apart without hurting it. I believe I saw new ones like you have in your boat at AAA a couple of years ago. My problem with my two boats......one a friend borrowed for a Grand trip and cross threaded it while trying to clean it. The other one was badly corroded and I destroyed the threads trying to get it apart.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016   #5

St. George, Utah
Paddling Since: 1974
Avon Valve

I replaced mine with a Halkey-Roberts pressure relief valve and boot sold by NRS. This valve will not fit the Avon valve boot, different threads.
My fill valve was fine so I just rebuilt it. It is not a hard repair, I just cut the old valve out ,glued the new boot in in the same location then glued a doughnut shaped patch over the whole boot. Those old Avon's also have problem with cracking on the recessed valve boots so you may want to replace then with C7's if you have it in a shop.
They will do the same thing, add new boots and valves, doughnut patch the area.
dsrtrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016   #6

Paddling Since: 1994
If it was in the shop I would unscrew the valve to clean it. Gently grab it with channel locks and lefty loosie. If the threads on the boat side were good, I would take the valve apart, clean it and put it back in.

If the threads on the boat are corroded/ trashed (which is common) I would retrofit it with a new Leafield A-6 PRV. I would put it in the existing hole using sorcery and wouldn't have to cut a new hole.
The PRV retrofit is $110

That A-7 (fill valve) in the floor looks like it was a bootless install so it wont have the same problems the chamber valves had that were installed with rubber boots. If the floor valve is functioning fine there is no real reason to replace it unless you really want a C-7 in there. That will be a bit more of a chore.
Old 07-12-2016   #7

Longmont, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
If it was in the shop I would unscrew the valve to clean it. Gently grab it with channel locks and lefty loosie. If the threads on the boat side were good, I would take the valve apart, clean it and put it back in.

If the threads on the boat are corroded/ trashed (which is common) I would retrofit it with a new Leafield A-6 PRV. I would put it in the existing hole using sorcery and wouldn't have to cut a new hole.
The PRV retrofit is $110

That A-7 (fill valve) in the floor looks like it was a bootless install so it wont have the same problems the chamber valves had that were installed with rubber boots. If the floor valve is functioning fine there is no real reason to replace it unless you really want a C-7 in there. That will be a bit more of a chore.
Thanks to all for the advise. No luck getting the valve apart yet. Where does one get this retofit?
edit: I just saw your sig. I'll give you a call