Mountain Buzz banner

Help dating Smokers?

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  thinksnow 
#1 ·
I found a pair of old Smokers at a garage sale for dirt cheap today, planning on refinishing and probably making wall hangers out of them. I'm trying to figure out how old they are, and I'm having a hard time finding much about dating Smokers. The logos are round with scalloped edges like a bottle cap, they're 8' overall, and the blades are 28"x5" with metal tip protectors that may or may not be original. Not sure if the rope wraps are original, either. Anybody know roughly from when these were made?

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
As far as I've been able to figure out, the "Smokers Quality Brand" name and logo predate Sawyer's acquisition of the brand in 1992. The logos are pretty hashed and the copper tip protectors make me think they've been around for a while.

I sanded the hell out of them today starting at 80 grit on the palm sander, then 100 and 220 by hand with the grain. I only applied the first coat of spar today, I'm going to do 4 or 5 coats on them with linseed oil on the handles total. I figure I might as well get them water-ready, I might have to take them out for the hell of it one day. I was able to piece together a whole logo from ebay and etsy listings, so I have a stencil ready to reapply the logos, too. They've definitely seen some miles and were put away wet more than once, so they're pretty discolored, but I like it.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.