Old 09-04-2015   #21
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Man, I'm hardly a helmet expert but this thread exemplifies the problem with trying to get important accurate information on the internet. When tango has the most accurate information, you know you're in trouble.

The WRSI is most definitely designed to be a multi-hit helmet, as all kayaking helmets should be. They use EVA foam, which has multi-impact resilience, unlike bicycle helmets made out of EPS foam.

Multi-impact doesn't mean that your helmet won't crack or will be as good as new after impact. It means that the foam liner is designed to maintain impact absorption properties even after taking a hit.

Although it's true that WRSI uses a two layer shell system, unlike most manufactures, I'm not aware that that design characteristic has anything to do with the death of Lucas Turner. As I've read the story, they believe his death was due to the helmet getting pushed back on his head in turbulent whitewater and he subsequently took a rock hit to the head. Their primary directive was to a build a helmet that keeps the helmet in place under the unique forces of whitewater, hence their big occipital band and firehose tests on dummy heads.

But I think the primary takeaway here is: if you want to find a good helmet, hold them up side by side and see which one looks sturdiest.

KSC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015   #22
Cave Creek, Arizona
Come on guys. This isn't a pissing contest. Just looking for suggestions here.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015   #23
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I wear one of these
k2andcannoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015   #24
The PS Helmets remind me of Grateful Heads... RIP
benR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015   #25
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Yep basically grateful heads. All this "testing" and certification processes killed the independent helmet manufacturing industry. I used to live down the road from the old grateful heads shop when I was a kid, those helmets were the coolest things I'd ever seen.
k2andcannoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015   #26
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Originally Posted by benR View Post
The PS Helmets remind me of Grateful Heads... RIP
Paul was first, Grateful Heads copied him closely. Still available, just without the hippie logo.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015   #27
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
I have a smaller head and I started with a Shred Ready Vixen. Always had some issues with it in the sense it blocked part of my view and when I got rolled (I'm a kayaker) it would slop around on my head and add an additional variable to the situation. On long trips the front of my head would start to hurt because my head wasn't the same shape as the helmet regardless of the padding configuration.

I just got a Sweet Protection Rocker and love it! It's a m/l which I wouldn't normally consider given my head size, but it is light, fits secure and stays put in the event of a roll.

I would recommend trying them on at the store and Internet shopping.
Aprilh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015   #28
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990

You guys are crazy and there is some serious speaking from the hip going on around here. Wow. Being a retail buyer with over 20 years in the business you guys have so many half truths going on here it is mind blowing.

Jim Wilson was one of the first composite helmet builders on the planet. He sold his molds to companies like PS Composites, Grateful Heads, Murky Waters, and FNA. Jim Snyder designed helmets for Grateful Heads and others. So did other helmet designers. PS Composites, Murky Waters, Grateful Heads and FNA are builders not always the designers. If you crack one of these companies helmets they will NOT come apart. They can't if built properly using Kevlar correctly. Composites are just that layers of a cake. No one should built a pure carbon helmet- it would be light but far from strong. The proper mix would be e-Glass, Resin, Kevlar, resin, e-glass, resin, Kevlar, resin, carbon all into one vacuum bag. Then you would add a foam to the inside. The thicker the better.

But, as always it doesn't matter how over built the helmet is- if it doesn't fit your head properly. It will fail to protect you.

I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote