Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 11-03-2015   #1
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Has anyone used a Big Agnes "System" bag with a Paco Pad?

Hey guys,

I've recently come back to multi-day raft trips after a decade away from it and need to update my gear. Since I mostly car camp previously I've been doing the "lots of blankets" route with camping and it works allright but I think it might be time to get a sleeping bag again (my previous one wore out from use).

I've been looking at the Big Agnes park series bags. Instead of having insulation underneath, they have a sleeve that you slide the sleeping pad into. My question is if anyone has used a Paco Pad inside the sleeve? I have a "Super" Paco Pad that seems to be the right dimension. All the reviews I read make it very clear that you really need the integrated sleeping pad to assure you aren't freezing your but off in cold weather.

Its hard to find the Park series stuff in a store for some reason, so it sounds like I'll be forced to go straight to the Big Agnes retail store in Steamboat on my way to a Lodore trip later this week.

Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015   #2
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
A super paco will not fit in the BA sleeve, you could lay on top of the paco in the BA bag but if you roll over your back will freeze. I tried this before with my BA and my guide pad, no bueno.

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. - Voltaire
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015   #3
Lakewood, Colorado
Bummer....thats kind of what I thought might be the case. I have another much smaller pad, but I guess we'll have to see. The last few trips out I ended up doing paco pad on the bottom, foil covered bubbled wrap and then an old school foam pad I got from a friend. I think the foil thing and the old school one might fit well in the BA system bag. I might end up buying a pad from Big Agnes too. Still gonna use the Paco under it either way though.
Old 11-03-2015   #4
Leadville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I have used my grande paco, the 3 incher, in a BA deer park bag and it just barely fits. A bit of a struggle to get it in but once there is fine. The new park series bags will fit a paco for sure and have extra insulation wrapped around sides but I am not sure if they are out yet. Also look into system bags with a 3/4 sleeve, might be easier to get a paco into. Give them a call before stopping in because some inventory might have to come from the warehouse across town.
house is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015   #5
Lakewood, Colorado
The one I was looking at was the Hog Park or Whiskey park. They are essentially the same bag, just different temperature ratings (20 and 0 respectively). I talked to Judy at BAP and she is going to have both bags at the store on Thursday for me to look at. The recommended size for those bags is 25" and the Paco is 28", but I suspect it will be similar to your experience where its a bit of a pain but will still work. If you can fit a Grande in one, I'm sure the Super will fit.
Old 11-03-2015   #6
I am a big guy and I love the Hog Park. The bag is huge, but having no fill in the bottom makes it easy to pack. I don't think that my Aire "Paco" pad would fit inside. I bought a 3" thick therma rest on clearance from REI for like $30 and put that inside the BA pocket and set the whole thing on top of the Paco pad. The whole set up is the best that I have experienced and is the same route I would go if I was car camping.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
RiverVandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015   #7
Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Cascade Outfitters makes a 6' 20" wide pad for the passengers on a first bay of a raft it's 3" thick.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015   #8
Westfield, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
Wow, I wish I had known this Big Agnes sleeping bag/pad system existed years ago. This looks cool.

Would sure save me duct tape and the mess of taping my bag to my pad. I am the type of sleeper that rolls around, and the pad never stays put under my bag. I also love extra tall extra wide bags, and doubling up with my lady. Prices are a little higher than I would like to pay, but a good night sleep is definitely worth the money. Maybe in three years when my current setup wears out or I can't get rid of the funk, I'll invest in a Big Agnes system
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015   #9
Lakewood, Colorado
I always hated being cooped up in a sleeping bag, which is why I went with the blanket solution until I looked into these bags. I'm a big dude and the Park series are made for us. All the reviews I have seen say that they are super roomy and there is more then enough room to bend your legs, roll around and not feel constricted. The key to that though is having the pad in it, so I just need to make sure that I have a pad that fits in the sleeve...hence why I started the thread.

Crossing my fingers that it will work with the Paco Pad still. It looks like all the pads that Big Agnes make in the this size are in the $150 range, which seems like a lot to me.
Old 11-03-2015   #10
Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 92
My wife and I have A Big Creek 30 double wide Big Agnes Sleeping bag system with Hinman pads in the sleeve. We also sleep on Pacos With the system. It is by far the most comfortable sleep arrangement camping I have ever used.

It's mainly our summer bag, we both have down bags for colder camping. The bag itself without the pad wouldn't be enough bag for even just me even during summer. The back is very thin and if its even a little chilly the cold ness of the paco can be felt. If you move around a lot when you sleep that thin bottom will quickly become the top of the bag, the pad keeps the bag in place while sleeping. I'd recommend buying a pad for it. You won't regret it

Quiggle is offline   Reply With Quote