Hand made wooden dory - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-12-2016   #1
Keep it right side up

Mc Coy, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Hand made wooden dory

Hey buzzards I am going to go on an adventure and build a whitewater dory. I think it will be fun and any tips and tricks or reading material would be much appreciated.

swedgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
The great dory question!

Wooden Boat People - By McKenzieDriftBoat.com

Couple other good threads you can find by searching
kayakfreakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016   #3

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Brad Dimock fretwaterlines
Kelly Neu The Minutes of a Dory Build
Jeremy Christensen Desolation Dory Blog
Andy Hutchinson for plans High Desert Dories | Custom Built Whitewater Dories and Repairs

Then there's my blog which I blushingly submit, if only for entertainment on the many ways to screw up building a dory Whitewater Dory
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016   #4

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
Drift Boats & River Dories by Roger Fletcher. I bought this book and built my own drift boat this summer and then rowed it down the Upper Gauley. If you can half ass read a set of blue prints and have some decent carpentry skills this will do all you need. It has 10 sets of plans in the back so you could build on of ten boats. This book also has all the tricks you need to know about to build your boat. Mine was just plywood, no glass, but it did not take that long and it was alot of fun to build.
I am an American Whitewater member. One of 6300. There are an estimated 100000 paddlers in the U S. If you are not a member you should join. AW is fighting for our rivers everyday and could use some help.
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016   #5

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Swedgen,

It depends on what you want. Roger's book is great for several variations of the McKenzie style, which is a constant rocker boat usually built w/o decking and water tight compartments, and often used for technical rivers in addition to fishing drift boats. One of the best versions is the Woody Hinman one.

If you're looking at a more big water dory for multi-day trips (although definitely the Gauley is big water which is what Curtis took his dory down), you might think about a Briggs style dory. A variation of the McKenzie with a flat rocker section in the middle for better directional stability in big water, plus complete decking and hatches. It's usually built as a larger boat, up to 17 or so feet. Roger has one in his book at the end but I, and others, think some of the lofting dimensions are off. There are several other options for plans including the one I linked earlier, Andy Hutchinson in Dolores. There's also a guy who makes Briggs style boats in Carbondale but I don't think he has plans.

There are about 5 other books you can read for more background info (I've read them all- in fact too much info) but I think the blogs I listed are a better way to start if you're going down the Briggs path.

If looking at a McKenzie, in addition to Wooden Boat People web site, there's also Montana Riverboats Phorum (sp correct) which is directed more to the stitch and glue style rather than traditional wood frame.

Jon
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016   #6

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I'm just about finished decking over a drift boat I rehabbed a few years ago. In addition to reading a couple of the books mentioned above, I spent hours and hours (possibly as many as I spent working on the boat) googling to figure out proper construction techniques and the design features I wanted.

Since I decked over an existing hull I didn't have to figure out which boat to build, but figuring out how to properly do all the work to deck it over intimidated me to a degree. Beyond figuring out the layout and dimensions for bulkheads and hatches, I didn't want to experience some of the epoxy or paint failures I'd read about that would require extra work to remedy.

I found a lot of good info about wooden boat building on: Wooden Boat People - By McKenzieDriftBoat.com

Late in the game I discovered the "Whitewater Dories" Facebook group, which is very supportive in answering questions you may have along the way. Also, a great place to ogle finished boats.

I read how-to articles and watched the videos put out by westsystem.com and jamestowndistributors.com

Another big help was going to see some finished dories (or that were partially finished) that were near where I live.

Figuring out where to buy supplies (hinges, latches, rubber chine strips, epoxy/fiberglass, wood for framing, etc) turned into another large research project.

I have a spreadsheet with many of the weblinks I referenced. PM me if you'd like me to email it to you.
Jim S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016   #7

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
Duct tape, and Jim are correct about the decking over part. There is not a lot in Rogers book about that. His book focuses on the hull.
I am an American Whitewater member. One of 6300. There are an estimated 100000 paddlers in the U S. If you are not a member you should join. AW is fighting for our rivers everyday and could use some help.
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016   #8

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1965
I'm in Basalt and in the process of rebuilding an older dory and also have a McKenzie boat I built. Ever get over to the RFV drop me a line and I'll put you to work and share a beer
jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016   #9
Keep it right side up

Mc Coy, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Thanks for all the great info. You have turned me onto a wealth of knowledge. Just trying to figure out how big and what kind. I know I want to deck it and from there I haven't decided. All I know is I want a boat that will handle big water and still be nimble and fun to row

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
swedgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016   #10

Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2004
Lots of good info here:

http://montana-riverboats.com/phorum/list.php?3

Kyle
Wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote