Groovers Again - How to empty the bucket? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-08-2016   #1

Fort Collins
Groovers Again - How to empty the bucket?

So I am cutting my teeth on groovers (figuratively), and have some questions about the dumping process. I am starting out with the 5-gallon gamma seal lid option, and I know while they may not be the most preferred option out there, they seem pretty common. So, those of you that use them, how do you dump them at the dump station?

I used mine for a week, and all went well, following the tips I have found here, until I got to the dump station. I have not seen much info here or else ware on the inter-webs for how to actually dump them. I managed to wire the hole cover/lid open, and did my best to pour the contents of the bucket down the hole. It was not pretty, but ultimately, I was successful. It just got me thinking there has to be a better way.

I have thought of either getting some sort of funnel to help out, or a second lid and adding RV fittings to it, but I am struggling to figure out what to use and where to look for parts/supplies.

Do any of you guys have some tips to help me out with this? Pictures are great too, at least of the toilet system. If you have pictures of the dumping process, maybe a PM would be better.

Advertisement

Old 08-08-2016   #2

NIMBY, Oregon
Paddling Since: Womb
Sometimes you have to do it the dirty way, but a SCAT machine and a couple cam straps are the tools of choice.

Feed it money, open the hatch, strap the can down tight, place the lid on rear shelf, close hatch, press green button. Usually takes a few runs and a hardened individual to scrape the barnacles off on the last rinse.
heavyswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Yeah, there's a lot better way...

There's a lot better way but scat machines are pretty rare around Colorado. That's why most folks throw down and get an Ecosafe system. Pull up to the RV dump station, connect the hoses and turn the water on. Then when it's done, take it home and let it dry out completely, and hit the inside of the tank with some spray on cooking oil before the next trip out. No muss, no fuss and hardly any smell to contend with relative to the delightful experience you've just had. They may seem expensive but will seem a bargain when faced with doing a manual cleanout every time out.

Take care!

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016   #4

boizee, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1984
Use a Sharpie. Just write "wallets and tools" on the lid and leave it next to the road.
boicatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016   #5

Fort Collins
Quote:
Originally Posted by boicatr View Post
Use a Sharpie. Just write "wallets and tools" on the lid and leave it next to the road.
Old 08-08-2016   #6

irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
I carried 2-3 partner groovers (mine) for a few years -- it got me on many trips. A friend owned a porta potty business and would empty, disinfect and deodorize them for free. He sold it, so I went to a national known company. Same thing, except $10. a groover. Drop them off on the way to work -- pick them up on the way home. Are you fucking kidding me? Pay the man! S'cuse me, what straps do you use for the clean out nightmare station? I love the picnic benches next to one of them. "Hey guys, let's have lunch afterwards". True story.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016   #7

Fort Collins
Andy, I don't doubt too much that I will get there eventually, and I can sure see the benefit. As I work on the gear collection, I have to spend the limited funds in order of importance, so if the bucket now can help offset the cost of the next ducky for my kid, then so be it. Boats take precedence over groovers. Once I have emptied enough buckets, I am sure the EcoSafe will be much closer to its turn in the wallet hand out line.

So until then, I appreciate the ideas for dealing with the less than ideal bucket system. Now, where did I leave my sharpie?
Old 08-08-2016   #8

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Add water last day

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016   #9

Hamilton, Montana
Paddling Since: 2013
[QUOTE=wildh2onriver;442192- I love the picnic benches next to one of them. "Hey guys, let's have lunch afterwards". True story.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz[/QUOTE]

Hell, my favorite story is about how once, while waiting for our turn at the scat machine in Riggins, my dad wandered off and returned with a quart of Rocky Road ice cream and a handful of spoons. I reminded him about this yesterday when I saw him after I got back from another MS trip, and pointed out that brown ice cream with chunky bits wasn't really appealing in that location.
Montana Cat 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016   #10

irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
Groovers Again - How to empty the bucket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Cat 65 View Post
Hell, my favorite story is about how once, while waiting for our turn at the scat machine in Riggins, my dad wandered off and returned with a quart of Rocky Road ice cream and a handful of spoons. I reminded him about this yesterday when I saw him after I got back from another MS trip, and pointed out that brown ice cream with chunky bits wasn't really appealing in that location.

Were there marshmallows in between the chunks? Lol! "Hey guys, let's eat lunch" was not I wanted to hear after the 3rd rinse...

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote