Groovers Again - How to empty the bucket? - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-09-2016   #21

Cortez, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Well, I wouldn't call this reply a hijack, but maybe a tangent. I use a gamma bucket, but I compost it at home. Now, hold your horses on judging that, until I've finished.... I use it just like a "sawdust bucket" style composting toilet. I start the trip with sawdust or wood shavings, in about 1/4 of the bucket. Then when you pick up the groover at every camp, just put the lid on and give it a few mild to moderate shakes. The poop, being heavier than the shavings, will magically (yes, magically) work it's way down. The stink is almost non-exsistent, because the dry wood draws the moisture out of the poop and also, the wood's ph neutralizes the poop's odor. I often get compliments on my groover. Often. And when I empty it at home, it's kinda like emptying the catbox. Then I give the bucket a squirt or two with the hose and let it sit in the sun for a few days. The sun is the best disinfectant and odor killer there is. I suspect this would work with an Eco-safe, too, but have not tried it.

Several factors with this system:
> a source of sawdust or shavings.
> do you compost or know someone who does?
> not sure how this would work with a SCAT system. (never tried it)
> You CANNOT pee in it; poop and TP only.
> You're losing 1/4 of the volume to sawdust, so probably not the best system for long trips/big groups, or just figure that 25% into your groover calculations.

Okay, for those who held their horses, there is a considerable body of research out there to support the merits of sawdust toilets and composting. Though I realize those in suburbia...or even urbia, can't do this at home. Among that body of research is "The Humanure Handbook" by Joe Jenkins, considered the bible in this area.

If you give this a try, your trip-mates will thank you.

grumper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2016   #22

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumper13 View Post
Well, I wouldn't call this reply a hijack, but maybe a tangent. I use a gamma bucket, but I compost it at home. Now, hold your horses on judging that, until I've finished.... I use it just like a "sawdust bucket" style composting toilet. I start the trip with sawdust or wood shavings, in about 1/4 of the bucket. Then when you pick up the groover at every camp, just put the lid on and give it a few mild to moderate shakes. The poop, being heavier than the shavings, will magically (yes, magically) work it's way down. The stink is almost non-exsistent, because the dry wood draws the moisture out of the poop and also, the wood's ph neutralizes the poop's odor. I often get compliments on my groover. Often. And when I empty it at home, it's kinda like emptying the catbox. Then I give the bucket a squirt or two with the hose and let it sit in the sun for a few days. The sun is the best disinfectant and odor killer there is. I suspect this would work with an Eco-safe, too, but have not tried it.

Several factors with this system:
> a source of sawdust or shavings.
> do you compost or know someone who does?
> not sure how this would work with a SCAT system. (never tried it)
> You CANNOT pee in it; poop and TP only.
> You're losing 1/4 of the volume to sawdust, so probably not the best system for long trips/big groups, or just figure that 25% into your groover calculations.

Okay, for those who held their horses, there is a considerable body of research out there to support the merits of sawdust toilets and composting. Though I realize those in suburbia...or even urbia, can't do this at home. Among that body of research is "The Humanure Handbook" by Joe Jenkins, considered the bible in this area.

If you give this a try, your trip-mates will thank you.
There's a whole movement of people using composting toilets in tiny houses. It must really work to be able to live with your groover in 150 square feet.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016   #23
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumper13 View Post
Well, I wouldn't call this reply a hijack, but maybe a tangent. I use a gamma bucket, but I compost it at home. Now, hold your horses on judging that, until I've finished.... I use it just like a "sawdust bucket" style composting toilet.
like the Indian Creek guard station. Those bathrooms are so sweet smelling I would sleep in them.....
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016   #24

Cortez, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
There's a whole movement of people using composting toilets in tiny houses. It must really work to be able to live with your groover in 150 square feet.

Yup. And I wouldn't have believed myself, but I've done it. Lived in tight quarters with the bucket for several years, no stink.
grumper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016   #25

Post Falls, Idaho
My wife and I joke thats how well have to empty nest.

Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016   #26

lafayette or Grand Lake, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
look on crags list , etc for used ecosafe tanks. I picked up 3 for $ 75 / $25 each a while back, lucky yes, but not impossible.
Old 08-13-2016   #27

Fort Collins
So, just to recap, here are the supplies I need:
Cam straps
Sharpie
Backup bucket and contractor dumpster
Double bucket system to prevent cracks
Dish water
Pam spray
Rocky road ice cream for post dumping refreshment

No mention of a short hose segment, I'll look for an old garden hose to cut up, or a funnel. I think a funnel with a 3" end would be the key. If I can find one, I'll share the source for future users. I am sure this would apply for all the other bucket style systems too (I.e. ammo cans), not just gamma buckets. Ultimately, it looks like the suggestion is to pony up for the EcoSafe...someday, but for now to go find the funnel.

Does anyone else have any more tips for what to do, once you get to the dump station?
Old 08-13-2016   #28

NE, Oregon
I think the deafening silence is your answer.
There is no sanitary or pleasant way to dump a bucket into an RV clean out.
Good luck..
Willie 1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016   #29

Truckee, California
Its almost like you need to figure out what rivers you will most likely do, and look at the cleanout options- then choose the best toilet you can afford.

Eco safe has the option to work OK in a scat machine, and (although I haven't done it) works on an RV cleanout too. BUT- the fit on seat has a "ramp" that funnels all the deposits so that they go into the narrow container opening. Nearly every dump leads to a smear that doesn't go directly into the container. Cleaning after every shit? Ugh. Not a fan.

Bucket system or open Rocket works well in a scat but has limitations when dumping into a... How were you doing it? Sounded like the OP didn't enjoy the process.
Both are cheap and as long as you don't give the full thing to a 10 year old should be fine on durability.

I have a coyote toilet- pretty nice, and works great at the RV dump, but the shape does not lend itself to a scat machine. (needs handles glued on to hold it in place, and the squared off top just won't drain well).

Johnny Partner is the best. stable to sit on, straight shot into the vat, easy clean up at the scat machine- how do they work at an RV dump?
They are crazy expensive though, and are pretty tall- don't fit great in a bilge..
My buddy has one that he got from a raft company going out of business- cracked and needed 20$ worth of welding. Good deal.

Wag bags for small trips- 2-3 days, 2-3 people is a good option. Not great for more than 1 dump per bag though. We sometimes use a 5" pvc pipe w glued on end and screw on top (Poop tube- ala big wall climbing) for shorter trips and IK trips. Works great and is approved on the rogue.

Tips-
Definitely spray pam or cooking oil in on day 1.
Definitely add water (pee/dishwater) on last day.
Buy the cleanout person's dinner!

Whats the best way to clean out the gamma lid bucket at a non scat spot? I have been thinking about getting this setup...

Daryl
Daryl T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016   #30

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Daryl,
Fabulous review of river toilets. But, you forgot to review the Riverbank! Can you please add that to your review.
Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote