Mountain Buzz banner

Groover Tips

16K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  malloypc 
#1 ·
Just purchased a ECO-Safe Toilet System for overnighters.
What products should I use and what quantities (ratios).
Cheaper the better.

#5 ·
Ya but about another 10% whiskey has to make it into that blend somewhere (but it won't come from the corn).

The blue stuff RV individual packets were designed to do the trick, and they do. One package and a half gallon of water to start, top it off with water and even add another packet whenever necessary. Drop it off at your local treatment plant, for a few bucks it comes back good as new.

#3 ·
Powdered bleach the more the better. I've found with my Eco safe when I get to the take out fill it with water till its above the poop and let it slosh around in the back of the truck or trailer on your drive home... Slides right out!

#6 ·
Just overnighters? Contact the guy on Nrs gear swap with the $2 wag bags. No sense going through all that trouble cleaning out the shitter for a few poops.

If you feel bad about the waste you can always leave the bags in the parking lot of your favorite local Walmart. They have a vacuum machine that cleans the lot will shred the shit out of it

#8 ·
Wag bag for overnight/weekend trips. RV powder for weeklong trips. Have tried that sawdust decomposer stuff once and didn't like it. RV powder works and deodorizes as well. We've used it straight out of the packets, but have found that filling up a Mrs. Dash shaker with it works the best with our gamma bucket system. The holes in the shaker lid are nice and big, and if you keep it dry it won't clump. A sprinkle after each use and you're good.

#9 ·
Groover Tamer

It's kind of expensive, but a 1/2 of the little powder jar does a full eco-safe load, and the spritzer bottle lasts for much longer than two trips. It doesn't seem to make anything slide out any better (spray pam inside before use), but it is pretty amazing how the whole load, corn and all, just doesn't smell. Amazing chemistry involved.

#12 ·
It's kind of expensive, but a 1/2 of the little powder jar does a full eco-safe load, and the spritzer bottle lasts for much longer than two trips. It doesn't seem to make anything slide out any better (spray pam inside before use), but it is pretty amazing how the whole load, corn and all, just doesn't smell. Amazing chemistry involved.
Looks like you want to buy it here

http://www.grooverlabs.com/site/mobile?url=http://www.grooverlabs.com/Groover_Tamer.html#2922

Their kit is about $8 cheaper than NRS

#14 ·
Bleach actually worked well enough in my eco when we ran out of blue goo for the final round.

That said, I bought a bunch of the RB 7-something from Clavey as it was recommended by buddies. Blue goo seems to knock the odor down a bit better and this stuff was cheap compared to the Groover Tamer---which I love but is wicked expensive.

Some people do swear by PineSol as a solution as well. Does seem to help odors when I let it sit with some water in the tank after its been cleaned/emptied.

Best of luck and remember shit is most likely gonna smell like shit in 90+ degree heat no matter what you do.....so its always best to have another boatman carry the groover ;)

Phillip

#16 ·
Is groover tamer the same as the sawdust stuff? It was a long time ago that the group I was with used something that looked like sawdust, and it was worthless for odor. It was supposed to help decompose the poo.

#17 ·
don't know anything about the sawdust stuff/method

Groover Tamer worked great for us on the Selway. Definitely kept the stench dow, much better than anything I had used up until then. We were consistently using both spray after every deposit. Other folks I know didn't like it as much during other trips but didn't spray but once a day.

Expensive as hell from NRS and why I haven't used it much. Knowing about the direct buy opportunity it may become the go-to option next year when my current stash of RB runs our or expires.

Phillip

#32 ·
We use this:
RTB 780

Never had any issues. Drop it in, pee on it, good to go.
Bump

This has been working well for me for several years.
Clavey seems to have the best price w/ S&H considered.
Two baggies into the RiverBank with a pint or so of water / pee.
(Be sure to take them out of the little Ziploc they come in :oops:)
If odor does develop, add another one or two packets.

Another good practice is to sprinkle a small amount of fine ashes (from DO charcoal) on top of each deposit - keeps the flies and beetles at bay.

#27 ·
No. Use real bleach. Destroys virus DNA. You don't need much. Unfortunately cracks nalgene lids over time. Empty bleach after the trip. It also loses potency so buy fresh bleach

#28 ·
Odor control use-

If you want odor control make sure the a chemical that contains formaldehyde. I just use aqua-kem, but make sure it is the one with formaldehyde. It does not take much. Just add a tablespoon or two when you pack it up and be sure to add water at or near the end of the trip.

My experience has been that there is no appreciable breakdown during a week long trip with the enzyme version or maybe the deposits are too frequent during that time to notice the change?

#29 ·
My experience has been that there is no appreciable breakdown during a week long trip with the enzyme version or maybe the deposits are too frequent during that time to notice the change?
Maybe first tank in a week trip. But seems like tamer is a lot of cost vs RV treatment

#30 ·
Hi,

Being both a long-time RV user and a long-time boater, I note that many RV toilet chemicals contain formaldehyde.

Some folks object to this on environmental principles alone. But also, bacteria-based waste processing operations will be impaired if you introduce even small amounts of formaldehyde their system. Many explicitly ban it outright because of adverse effects on the bacteria in their tanks.

As a result, this may have the effect of making it a bit more difficult for responsible folks to find a place to dump their groovers. Years ago, I switched to Rid-X for my RV toilet and Clorox II for my groover.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

#31 ·
The stuff I use is in a green bottle --- biodegradable and has enzymes but I didn't look at the label. I don't use it on the river -- only after emptying contents to try and remove smell in the container

You never lose that fresh poo smell

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.