Old 05-07-2013   #1
Angel Fire, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2004
Great Raft Ideas

Fellow buzzers,

This is a shout out for some ideas for a project I have in a MBA class. For the class we are supposed to come up with a new product or an extreme innovative change to an existing product. Then we are supposed to go through the exercise of developing the product from start to market. If anybody has any new ideas - good or otherwise - I would be stoked to use the idea for the class as I am not creative and have come up with nothing so far. You can hit me up with a PM and we can discuss the idea. If you are concerned about sharing no need to be, if the idea makes it through the first feasability study and is chosen for the final project I will provide you with the complete business plan for you to do what you want. I really just needs ideas as I do not have many original ideas.

Thanks for reading

backwardsraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013   #2
Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
I would love to see a wheel barrel type of contraption that would make it easier to move a raft by hand to and from the river.

TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013   #3
Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001

I've been working on a prototype ladder for the side of the raft for my 80 lb dog. She loves to be in the water and I get sick of pulling her out of the water. Something like a soft rope ladder with a platform submerged a bit in the water. Something that can be flipped into the boat when not in use but takes up minimal space. I made one out of hemp twine and cardboard but haven't moved any further with it(as a model). Was planning on using cutting board type material for the platform. The same stuff they make the frame platform material out of. Let me know...
Until We Meet Again...
replenish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013   #4

I present to you the Catbarrow, a quickly removable auxiliary frame that straps to the front of an NRS cat yoke, takes a standard 16" bicycle front wheel, and stows easily once the boat is in the water. Grab the yoke on the other end of the boat, lift, and wheel it to the water. Good for solo boaters, but also for lots of jokes about training wheels and how to get through shallow water.

Rich Phillips
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	The Catbarrow.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	6172  
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013   #5
Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Originally Posted by TriBri1 View Post
I would love to see a wheel barrel type of contraption that would make it easier to move a raft by hand to and from the river.
Something like this ?

300 lb. maximum load capacity to haul large loads
Holds up to 7.5 cu. ft. of landscaping material
20 in. pneumatic tires allow you to move over rough terrain easily
Except a little heavier and larger capacity?

Or would four stout mounted handles on your raft bag that double as over one shoulder straps be better?
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013   #6
Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Has anyone ever made an all everything bag that doubles as a raft bag ?
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013   #7
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1985
Great idea on the one bicycle wheel!
That would even work for single track trails if the forks are long enough to lift the tubes higher, probably need second person in front though to stabalize.

Many areas I access are gated roads, so I mounted two 8" phnematic tires from Harbor Frieght to a 1"x8" board. Just strap the oars to the board, lift one end of the boat and roll the axle back to a good balance point which supports the entire rig.
Then a quick strap from the boat to the board on each side and I have a rick-shaw.
I've even carried sleeping kiddos to the trailer.
The board can be left with the trailer, or even strapped across as a bench.
I've used it for a 14' SB and the pictured 12.5" baby cat.
Rojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013   #8
Lewiston, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Liquid cooled colie cup for my beer! It could attach to the drain plug on my cooler and keep my beer nice and cold.
rocketbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013   #9
Danville, California
Paddling Since: 1970
I suspect someone has already done this at least in prototype versions, but how about an all-inflatable river dory built with drop-stitch panels? No way anybody in Alaska is taking their rigid dory on a float plane! Ditto for the low water MF Salmon put-in.
theBoatPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013   #10
Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
Richp, I was thinking something similar, but that would not work well for a raft.

Rojo, I like your style... I was thinking something similar. My thought is three pieces plus two wheels. You would have an axle bar and two handle bars. Then the wheels mount in similar to a bike trailer. When you unroll your raft you put the axle bar and handle bars under the boat. Then snap the wheels in. Fill and rig then roll it to the water. At the take out you roll it into the water and float your boat over then roll it out. Pop out the wheels and you are back on the ground ready to de-rig.

When not in use it breaks down to three poles and two wheels that can be lashed to the frame and brought down the river if needed or left in the shuttle rig.

I hate (as do everyone else) when people yardsale their sh!t all over the boat ramp because they don't have a good way to move their boat out of the water without a trailer.

TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote