Mountain Buzz banner

grease those oar locks?

36K views 89 replies 42 participants last post by  mattman 
#1 ·
Cobra oar locks - how many folks grease the shafts that go into the towers?

#3 ·
Nothing I hate more than a sqeeeky oar lock. I grease usually use a dab of grease from my trailer grease gun, I've seen people carry little bottles of gun oil that works pretty good, maybe some Pam or a little sunscreen sometimes will do the trick.

#12 ·
Last time I said this I got buzzard shit on my head. Any type of grease will hold on to silt and grit. This will have the early effect of sanding down those shafts and creating a black greasy mess (grease + brass + silt = black greasy goo). Eventually the locks will lock up and no longer pivot when this conglomeration hardens. Sunscreen is the worst culprit for this.

Try using DR. BRONNER'S soap. It will keep the shaft from squeaking for days and help to keep the grit from destroying the oarlock shafts. I manufacture and repair oar towers for many of the outfitters in GC, and have many years of experience and experimentation with this.

Now I will take cover from the shit storm.

#42 ·
Last time I said this I got buzzard shit on my head. Any type of grease will hold on to silt and grit. This will have the early effect of sanding down those shafts and creating a black greasy mess (grease + brass + silt = black greasy goo). Eventually the locks will lock up and no longer pivot when this conglomeration hardens. Sunscreen is the worst culprit for this.

Try using DR. BRONNER'S soap. It will keep the shaft from squeaking for days and help to keep the grit from destroying the oarlock shafts. I manufacture and repair oar towers for many of the outfitters in GC, and have many years of experience and experimentation with this.

Now I will take cover from the shit storm.
I believe last time I was just quoting some stuff off the bottle and you thought I was sniping your good suggestion....unless someone else was flaming you?

It's all good! :)

#14 ·
I have the new NRS towers with the nylon bushing. I was still getting some squeaking so I very lightly hit the pins with water resistant silicone lube spray. That stuff dries up pretty well, and the squeaking is 100% gone. However, I don't like the idea of having anything oily or greasy in there for the reasons GC mentioned. Has anyone tried polishing the pins? Think that would make them not squeak in combination with the nylon bushings?

#16 ·
Vaseline.
And wipe your pins on a regular basis, then reapply Vaseline.

I mean, what else you gonna do on those long flat stretches; row?

Never thought about Dr. B's ...............huh. I mean, the stuff is good for everything else, so why not?

*jumps in shelter with GC Guide to avoid coming storm*

#23 ·
I generally don't use much lube for the gooing-up reasons described in the thread. If (when) the squeak gets to the point where I must do something about it, I just splash a few drops of water on them. The silence usually lasts for longer than I expected, repeat, and it is not a hassle. Oils, no matter how little is used, create a greasy mess, which is a personal peeve of mine. Vaseline MIGHT alleviate that, but I let others report on its efficacy.

Simple water treatment has worked well for me for decades, I will likely continue that method unless I see a brilliant idea herein.

#31 ·
Your mileage may vary.

.........and complete breakdown is necessary to apply.

Brilliant critique if you consider pulling an oarlock partway out a couple of times a season as "complete breakdown." You do actually have to pull the oarlock partway out and rub it on. It doesn't run in, and thus doesn't run out either. Closer to a wax than an oil. Used it for years, worked for me. Your mileage may vary. Not here to win a debate.

#61 ·
I just got of the river on a 5 day trip. One oarlock did not make a peep the entire trip. The other squeaked louder than my other boat without the bushings. The bushing itself was turning inside the tower, which it should not do. I am going to see if I can get it replaced, because the one that works is dead silent!

#34 ·
I've always appreciated your posts so don't get me wrong but you might like his suggestion too. Never know until you try it, right! Also using threaded locks seems to make it easier to tear down every once in a while. One of my take homes from this little discussion is I should take my locks out more often and clean and re lube them.... with what, I am still not sure... Door lube, Doc B's or maybe some dry chain lube? Decisions, decisions...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.