Old 08-23-2014   #1
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Grease Gun that doesn't get messy?

After years my old mini grease gun I use to lube the trailer bearings crapped out. Before I go out and get another one, is there a mini grease gun (3-oz cartridges) out there that doesn't get messy?

What I mean is, one that you put the cartridge in, and the plunger keeps a seal on the grease so you don't need to periodically pull back the plunger, collect the grease that squirts out the end, and re-pack the grease into the mini-cartridge?

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014   #2
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
I've had much better luck with the larger size- for the reasons you explain. Buy a good one with the flexible hose on the end- and forget about having to mess with it again.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014   #3
Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
I just greased my trailer and truck fleet and I like the full size too. You can slowly control how much grease flows out with the lever and if you send too much out you can back it off with the lever on the end of the gun as long as you were sending it out slow. Kinda like a caulking gun.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. KARL MARX
treemanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014   #4
Old Guy in a PFD
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
Never had a grease gun that wasn't ............. greasy.

So I just stuck mine in a Zip Lock after I wrapped it in a paper towel or rag. I mean, you're gonna need a rag or towel anyway, if you use the gun, right?
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014   #5
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
The good thing about the big ones, is when you investigate why it's no grease is coming out and open the wrong end, all 12 ounces get ejected at once. Ask me how I know that...

(Seven two 0) 298-2242

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote