Old 01-13-2015   #1
Cave Creek, Arizona
GoPro mounts?

Well after a few tries with the GoPro mounted to my helmet and using the chest rig, I am not to happy with the results. So I am considering a stern/bow mount. Also thinking of trying a T fitting on the back rail of the rowing frame with a tall PVC pole coming vertical off that.

What home made mounts have you guys made for your boats? Details of how you put them together would be helpful.

InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015   #2
Newman Lake, Washington
Paddling Since: 2010
My son used a regular stick on mount on the front of his hard shell kayak on the Gallatin River when I visited him at school in September. It is somewhere on the bottom by the miracle mile.

He was more upset with the lost video card than he was about losing the camera.

I know it doesn't answer your question, but you might consider a secondary attachment system/leash to make sure you don't lose yours as well.

athelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015   #3
pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I use an NRS knuckle mounted to the back bar of the frame angled back a bit. I add a piece of appropriately sized plastic conduit about 4-5' tall. I mount the camera near the top of the pole. I also run a bit of cordage from the camera back to the frame as a leash. If I flip the conduit will break if it hits something hard, which is what I want. The camera stands some chance of surviving.

This rig has survived a couple big water flips so far.

This is the view.

fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015   #4
Montrose, Colorado
Click image for larger version

Name:	go_pro_Mount.jpg
Views:	912
Size:	276.7 KB
ID:	9239
This is what I made / use. I think I got the original concept here on the buzz. The section below the 4-way is not glued so it comes apart, yet is held in when used. I fill it with Great stuff so I can be assured it will float if needed.
I epoxy and put a screw into the mount so the camera is not likely to get detached.
I had one survive while filming 5 miles of the bottom of the boat on Westwater this spring.
You might want to run a cord from the D-ring to the camera, but I have not found it needed.
QuietHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015   #5
San Diego, California
Try RAM Mounts for some ideas. Their mounts are pretty sturdy and they have one that uses radiator hose clamps that allow you to attach it to the frame. Worth the look.
sublime1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015   #6
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I'm in the process of setting up my touring kayak with some camera mounts, and discovered Railblaza brand mounts. They have a rail mount that will fit 1 1/4 - 1 5/8 inch rails. I'm going to try one on my raft frame (NRS) to see if it works. If it does, I'll have several interchangeable camera & accessory mounts for the raft & kayak. Here's a link to ACK with several pages of Railblaza products.

"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote