Old 03-12-2009   #11
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Check Craigslist and any rafting shops in your area, often times the shops have boards for customers to pin ads on - might have some good deals.

Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009   #12
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
Yup, checking craigslist all up and down the west coast and Idaho. that's a lot of checking.

Only one shop in town, and I do try to get in there once a week to look.

Thanks for the ideas!

spdrcr37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009   #13
C. Springs, Colorado
Hey, those Hysides on page two of the gear swap would be worth checking out. They are old KODI boats. I know Campy........he'll give you the straight scoop on each boat he's selling. He won't rip you off......looks like he has a fair price on them too.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009   #14
Bend, Oregon
Thanks caverdan, I'll give a call.
Old 03-12-2009   #15
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Still a lot of money for a leaky boat with a blown I-beam. Don't rush into a boat, the season is way early so many more will be available over the next couple of months. I took 3 months to find a boat I was willing to spend coin on. I am very happy I did not go for a beat up, sat in the sun year in, year out, tourist barge, for more money then it is worth raft.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009   #16
Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1066
"Topping off"

Your definition of "needing" topping off and the sellers definition may be different. Look past the paddles pump etc, because they might be beat. Agreed--take your time, and be choosy. For 1700 you can get a 10 1/2 ft hyside rio bravo brand new which is plenty of boat for two if you want to just do class 1-3. Buy a couple of paddles, a wal-mart mattress inflater ($20) and a k-pump ($50?) to top off and you are on the water. Fix-er uppers are only worth it if you can easily do the work. I bought a busted old sail boat once-- ONCE.
randomnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009   #17
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
leakers suck,dude. i'd avoid it.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009   #18
Highlands Ranch, CO Paddling Since: 1993
Keep an eye out for gear swaps at your stores as we are approaching that time of year.

Not sure of the bend area but I would guess that cascade up in boise has one.

If you do find one get there early to see the all the boats and if nothing is there that interests you don't give up as some of these i have worked people will be rolling in with boats throughout the sale. So sometimes the best deal might show up the second day.

Like others have said unless you are really into sniffing glue and have the time to spend on repairs avoid leaky boats.
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009   #19
Bend, Oregon
So I think I'm over any boats that leak. What about a blown I beam?

I'm definitely not looking at a boat that tops out at class III. First trip will be the Selway at low water this summer. I want to put a frame on something and still be able to have a cooler (probably 12' min) and also be able to R2 some hard stuff (class IV for sure, probably class V within a year) with a buddy.

Looking at a 13' hyside from Campy and a 12' Vanguard right now.
Old 03-13-2009   #20
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
You've got some time, I'd avoid the blown Ibeam too. People have hardly started trying to get rid of stuff yet, gear will be posted more in the next coming months. If you buy something that has problems now, imagine how hard it will be to turn it over if you decide you want to upgrade. Don't be desperate, it's only March!

Are you checking the NRS gear swap, the classified ads here, and also the ads over at Boatertalk? You might also post on some of the yahoo groups what you are looking for. I was amazed when I first posted about looking into buying a cat. Within a week of saying I was looking into a set of used tubes, people started contacting me with the same thing that they were willing to get rid of. A lot of folks sit on their gear instead of post it. Get the word out on PDX kayaker, WRRR, and Idaho whitewater yahoo groups, perhaps also the Utah one. Tell people you are looking and they might decide it's finally time to unload the boat they have already replaced.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote