Old 02-22-2015   #41
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 93
When in the Canyon or on SouthWestern Rivers, sleeping on the boat keeps you a bit cooler than on land. It also keeps all the critters and sand away. No need to unload my personal dry bags. Some people can not get used to the rocking, it soothes me!

topbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015   #42
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
Boat sleeping rocks!

Tents are suffocating on summer grand canyon trips. The most comfortable sleeping I found is on a roll-a-cot bridged lengthwise from cooler to drybox. I can leave my drybag and other stuff in the boat cockpit below me, and if my pillow falls off the cot it just drops into the boat. The frigid river water is like an air conditioner and circulates all around and under the cot. Perfect as long as it is realativel calm. Obviously, this doesn't work so well when the monsoon wind and rain kicks up though, and rolling up in a tarp is kind of miserable. Then again, nothing really equals a good night's sleep in a monsoon.

I have an older REI Half Dome that has been great as a solo tent on shoulder season trips, but the mesh goes pretty low on the sides and ends and will allow all kinds of grit to blow in. I ended up buying a REI Mountain 3 off Craigslist (it was discontinued a few years ago, and I think it was replaced by the Arete). It's designed as a 4-season mountaineering tent, but it is more like a burly 3 season that has zippers to close off all of the mesh panels. It has a pole-supported porch on the fly that allows the front door to be left as open mesh for some air even when its deluging outside, and it makes a great place take off wet gear under shelter before climbing fully into the ten. It is rock solid in wind and dry as a bone in rain, but ventilation is a weakness and makes it only suitable for cooler weather.

I have 6 different tents that will make appearances based on different conditions, including an Alps Zeyphyr 3 that is entirely mesh without the fly. My wife really likes that one on warm weather trips because she feels like she is sleeping outside without worrying about creepy crawlies.

Show me your OOOOOO face
90Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015   #43
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Anybody have the Agnes Tensleep 4? REI Basecamp??

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015   #44
The Old Troll
Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I have a few pieces of Big Agnes equipment and I impressed by all of it. For ultra light backpacking it's the best available. I would never take any of it on a desert raft trip in the Spring Summer or Fall. Buy a tent in a yard sale and use it until it falls apart. Lubricate the zippers with zipper lube and learn how to squeese the zipper whit pliers when it won't join the two sides of the door. Better yet get a roll-a-cot that is until Big Agnes designs a tent with no zippers designed to be set on a roll-a-cot.
Why does Pluto walk on all fours, drink from a dog bowl, and get treated like...a dog, while Goofy drives a car, wears clothing, and speaks in English?
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015   #45
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
I'm a big fan of sleeping on my boat whenever possible, unless it's pretty cold or raining. I've been using a roll-a-cot since a Salt trip in '94. Works great on my boat with a paco pad.

Very rarely does a storm blow sand after sundown, so that doesn't come in to play very often.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015   #46
Eagle Mountian, Utah
Paddling Since: 2007
I second the Big Agnes Tents I use the Big House 6. Lots of room and you'd have to play for the NBA not to be able to stand up inside.

I have found that enough guy lines should minimize the wind damage regardless of whether it has sleeves or clips. The Mountain Hardware Trango 2 has a huge wind tolerance and it is all clips. But its all about the guy lines.

If wind is particularly bad run your rope over the top a couple times and anchor it to the ground with rocks or a deadman. We do that while mountaineering and it works quite well.
Strieby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015   #47
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Another Big Agnes fan here. I've been using the Colton Creek for years and love it. They don't make this exact model anymore, but have one very similar now. It's a 3-4 man, so perfect for one person, cot, all my gear, and sometimes my dog. It's tall enough that I can almost stand up in it. The cot fits perfectly, and two cots would also fit. It has enough mess for ventilation, and enough non-mess that I can still have privacy without the fly on. I LOVE the brow pole awning on the door. Easy to get in & out of the tent without having to unzip a rain fly door every time. I've never had a problem in the rain with it, and I don't get wet when I get in & out while it's raining. It weighs less than 10 pounds.

If I want to go light weight, and tress are on the menu, then I bring my hammock set up. The roll-a-cot is heaven to sleep on, but the hammock beats it for total comfort. hammock/tarp/under quilt/top quilt = about 5 pounds and very compact. For kayak touring where there aren't trees (Lake Powell) I just got a Sierra Designs Lightning tent plus an Exped Synmat pad.

"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote