Old 02-16-2015   #11
Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Re: Eureka Equinox, I have had mine over 10 years and have had no problems with it. Despite the poor review in the article I referenced.

Fabric is in good shape, bathtub floor is still water proof. I replaced the slider on the front door last year, but all the other zippers are original and still in working order. Other than seam sealing a few times I have had no repairs or maintenance.

I noticed that some of the outfitters on the Smith River, MT use this tent.

kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015   #12
West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Bibler single wall, 4 season, fully zip close, boom.

Chief Niwot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015   #13
pojoaque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1972
Thanks everybody! I should have also mentioned that I was looking for just a 2 person.

That REI Arete looks good. I was thinking having to run the poles through the sleeves (rather than clips) would take longer to set up but reviewers say it's not a problem. Plus, my wife works at REI so we get a great discount and I have had good luck with REI tents in the past.

The ALPS Taurus Outfitter also looks good. I'll look into it.

And, I appreciate the pointer toward the zipper lube. I've used zipper wax and it has never worked well, just crumbles as I try to apply it...

Thanks again!
semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015   #14
Jenks, Oklahoma
Lots of good advice in this thread.

Based on my experience with lots of tents on western rivers including the Grand Canyon,
if you camp on sand and a serious wind starts, no matter what expect some sand inside your tent.

Granted, some tents are better than others in sand storms, but I have not yet found the perfect tent.

The search continues!!!
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015   #15
Woodland Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Thumbs down on the Marmot Limelight 3P. We bought ours because the footprint fits 2 Landing Pads perfectly. The Mosquito netting is too close to the ground and needs to be higher to keep out the sand dunes during wind storms.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sand dune.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	9344  
JonasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
The REI arÍte is a 100% sand proof even without the rain fly on when zipped closed. all the mesh areas has a non mesh piece that zips shut when needed. A bit of advice, always zip the mesh covers open before starting to pack. Otherwise it is almost impossible to get the air out to roll it up.

For trips where your only concern is bugs or uninvited guests in your bag this bug hut is light and packs small.

REI Bug Hut Pro 2 Tent -
Time is like a river. You cannot touch the water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again. Enjoy every moment of life on or off the river. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015   #17
idk, for a desert tent I would take ventilation over sand protection any day. That's the trade off, if it's not mostly mesh it's going to be hot as hell. Plus, as I think someone said, if you are talking getting two paco pads in a tent by today's standards you pretty much have to go to the floor area of a 3-4 man. The tent I would use if I lived in the NW vs the one for southern utah are just two different animals. I think I have 4-5 tents now. Don't cheap out, snapped poles and bad quality aren't worth it in a wind storm. I'd go for something with a quick deploying full coverage fly, if you need privacy you can put it over half the tent. It's a desert trip, some sand is going to happen, it all shakes out.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015   #18
in a van down by the river, California
Paddling Since: 1974
desert tent in high winds

The desert the floor comes alive at night
use a cot
Sleep under a fly or shelter wing, think mega-mid or other multipoint shelter systems.

When the wind really blows, I am taking my shelter down, sleeping on the cot and covering with a light cotton or fleece sheet.
Short of a cave, hunkering in a bivy bag with a handkerchief over my mouth and face. As for tents, you need good layers. Fine sands (wyo,utah,co) will all penetrate single layer tents and even with the rain fly on, we found a mountain hardware with fine screen windows still loaded up on Colorado River sand.
So even with the most fancy tent, you're gonna sand load.
Use a bandana and hope for a cave. Wet your camp down, use those chicky pales and get the campsite wet. Less dry sand to blow, the better in camp conditions.
kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015   #19
The Old Troll
Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Desert camping will destroy a tent in short order. It will destroy an expensive tent as fast as a cheap one. Zippers are the first components to go. Setting your tent up in sand will guarantee that you track tons of sand in on your person. By the end of the trip you will have sand in places you didn't know you had places. My best suggestion for a tent is buy a cheap one and try not to use the zippers every time you go in or out of the tent. I have gone to a roll a cot and have a bivy near by if it starts to rain. Resign yourself to the sand. If it becomes more than you can handle then have another drink. Woman in general have more trouble adopting this philosophy than men. You could buy her a tent and you can get a cot and a fly. Explore your inner pre-columbian native american. Imagine how the people who left the artifacts we all like to view along the river dealt with snakes, bugs, heat and sand without cold beer.

An expensive tent that can hold two roll a cots reminds me of those old jungle movies where porters carried all the comforts of home on safari. Don't be one of those people that needs hours every morning to pack up their gear and shake the sand out of everything. Travel light and get on the river early to avoid those up stream winds. It's just sand after all and there's a hot shower waiting at the end of trip.

The advice from Kayaker to use a pale of water to wet down the area is a great tip.
Why does Pluto walk on all fours, drink from a dog bowl, and get treated like...a dog, while Goofy drives a car, wears clothing, and speaks in English?
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015   #20
The Old Troll
Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
To put it all in perspective...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trish-stratus-black-bikini-sand.jpg
Views:	668
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	9345  

Why does Pluto walk on all fours, drink from a dog bowl, and get treated like...a dog, while Goofy drives a car, wears clothing, and speaks in English?
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote