Good boat for the Grand - Page 7 - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-10-2014   #61

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
I do have a bit of a boat collecting habit. I have the previous mentioned 16.5 avon bucket with a sweet DRE set up on it. Bought it super cheap. 14 NRSE for most of my boating around Mt. 13 ft Maravia spider with an NRS fishing frame that After I remove a few components is also my solo whitewater play boat. And I have an8 ft bucks bag pontoon for the harder to get to fishing floats. I was thinking of buying an 18 bailer then putting my DRE frame on it and selling it after the Grand. Only problem is I grow attached to my boats.

Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2014   #62

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
In that case, welcome, fellow addict!

I'm in Kalispell. See you on the river this summer!
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014   #63

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
Thanks Shawn. I lived in Seeley Lake and did a lot of floating in your neck of the woods. Hope we do cross paths out there somewhere.
Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014   #64

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4Runner View Post
Yes, but what do you USUALLY run on the Gallatin and Lochsa?

I've had my 15.5' raft on the Gallatin, but would rather take my 13' raft on it, the Yellowstone, NF Flathead, MF Flathead, etc for any smaller rivers or lower flows on big rivers. My 15.5' only when the rivers get big.

..so what we're really saying, Sembob is that you need a quiver.

16'-18' for lots of people on day trips or plenty of gear on overnights.
Lots of people on this forum have 11-13' rafts or cats for playboats.
14' is a good happy medium for a single boat quiver.
At 9000 I wish I had it on the lochsa. Maybe this year. The 18' is a joy to row when it's rigged for whitewater. Now I don't think it would make it through house rock but OP has a spider so he will be fine. It really does handle great most of the time, you have a 22' wingspan, that's a lot of leverage. Wind sucks though.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014   #65

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Here's the thread I started before I pulled the trigger Who is rowing an 18 footer outside the grand?
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #66

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
At 9000 I wish I had it on the lochsa. Maybe this year. The 18' is a joy to row when it's rigged for whitewater. Now I don't think it would make it through house rock but OP has a spider so he will be fine. It really does handle great most of the time, you have a 22' wingspan, that's a lot of leverage. Wind sucks though.
I took my 156R through the House Rock stretch and rubbed my spare pretty good, but I had 4 adults and 3 kids. Now I see why the guides run 13-14' paddle rigs!

To be fair, Sembob specifically asked for Grand boats. My previous answer was about all-around. Not having been on the Grand, I really can't say.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016   #67

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1970
Last run thru Crystal was in an old Avon Pro 16' bucket. We put 100x5 gallon buckets of the Colorado's soothing syrup into the boat before getting underway for it. The old bucket just "groaned" when we went through the wave.
Buckets, loaded right and run properly, are lucky boats. They just fill up and wallow through. Keep your weight low and keep lots of it. Turn that boat loose at the entry, and it'll likely come out at the bottom, with or without you, so don't rate yourself too highly. You just might be lucky, or a good escape artist. I've seen many boats that were better than the people rowing/paddling them.
villagelightsmith is offline   Reply With Quote