Good boat for the Grand - Page 5 - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-08-2014   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar008609 View Post
While we're on the subject. I have a 14' DRE Cataraft, and I was hoping the get the opinions of Grand Canyon veterans. I'd like to take my boat down the Grand Canyon (just purchased the rig this fall). I this a wise choice?
I've rowed both a 12' Hyside Cat and a 16' Hyside Cat thru the Grand several times, so yes, I think a 14' is an excellent choice. And as a fellow cat boater do you have any idea what these other folks are discussing?? "Bucket boat? Bailing?
Self -filler? Self bailer? Adding water to your boat for weight? Are these people crazy?

Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2014   #42
El Chupanibre

Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Rich, like you, I've grown fond of the tubes. The Grand invite came after I purchased the boat, If I'd know what was in my future, I may have purchased 16' tubes.
OldandBitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014   #43

cedar city, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by mar008609 View Post
While we're on the subject. I have a 14' DRE Cataraft, and I was hoping the get the opinions of Grand Canyon veterans. I'd like to take my boat down the Grand Canyon (just purchased the rig this fall). I this a wise choice?
Your principle disadvantage will be the gear capacity of the rig in the photo. As long as the TL knows then enjoy taking her down the Grand. Looks like you have great GC worthy cooler to sweeten the deal.

Have you thought about getting a small trailer frame behind the rower for long trips like the Grand? You could carry some extra gear back there, especially if its light (I own a 14' Aire Ocelot and I know I would not want it pigged out in the rapids in the grand).

I rowed the 16 foot Cat that was on our trip this summer and loved it through Upset. Nothing like the maneuverability of Cats to take on laterals.

I would think your biggest rowing problems will be the competing eddies at the end of the rapids (never experienced anything like the ends of rapids in the grand) and the spikier waves in places like Tiger Wash region. That said, any boat you take down there will eventually have a type of rapid that it has weaknesses in as there are many different personalities to the rapids down there. Plenty of places down there were a cat is ideal.

Enjoy your trip. Wishing I had bought longer tubes in hindsight so I could take her down the Grand as well.

Phillip
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014   #44

Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I've rowed both a 12' Hyside Cat and a 16' Hyside Cat thru the Grand several times, so yes, I think a 14' is an excellent choice. And as a fellow cat boater do you have any idea what these other folks are discussing?? "Bucket boat? Bailing?
Self -filler? Self bailer? Adding water to your boat for weight? Are these people crazy?
Two honest questions:

Which type of boat flips the most in the GC?
Bucket,
Self-bailer,
Cat

========

Does the Park Service run any Cats?
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #45
El Chupanibre

Thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
I've never observed a government employee on a Cataraft, even on rivers where they would be ideal. What do NPS and BLM employees row when they are not working? I know what kind of vehicles government workers are forced drive, and I know there are funner, safer, and more reliable options. Purchasing of equipment is often determined by some bean counter in a far off land. As far as safety goes or a boats ability to stay upright, I'm not sure I've ever seen data that would suggest a CAT is less safe than a bucket boat or self bailer. I purchased a CAT because all of my unplanned swims occurred in traditional boats. My reasons are very not scientific because there were other factors that contributed to my swims like beer and inexperience.
But I digress. The group I am with is very experienced, I guess we have motor rig support so I'll be loaded with personal gear. If that changes and I'm hauling gear for others and a passenger, I may purchase 16' tubes and add a trailer frame. I want to be the guy that is invited again, not the idiot who was unprepared and was a burden for others. This is a great thread, I've been boating for about 30 years, and I'm amazed by the wisdom and experience of the folks who frequent the buzz. I learn something new every time I log on.
OldandBitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #46

boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Westwater rangers have a cat.
davecosnowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #47

Real Estate, Colorado
It think it's safe to say that guns don't kill people, people kill people. Could it also be said that boats don't flip boats, people flip boats. It's not what you drive but how you drive it. Get a submarine if you're worried about swimming. Otherwise, dress to swim and don't drink my beer.
Ed Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilloutWest View Post
Two honest questions:

Which type of boat flips the most in the GC?
Bucket,
Self-bailer,
Cat

========

Well there are more self-bailers on the GC than Cats or buckets so the safe bet is "B", Self Bailers. In 5 cat trips I personally have 1 flip (I DO NOT recommend running the Ledge Hole at Lava). I tend to go for the "E Ride", left in Crystal, Upset, Bedrock and Lava. I also come from a kayak background so being upside down is not the worst thing that can happen in a rapid.

The Dino Rangers have at least one cat. The Arkansas River rangers run cats.
I imagine because of trip lengths and cargo capacity, the GC Rangers have big self bailers.

A much more important question:

What is more fun on the GC?

Bucket
Self Bailer
Cat?

YMMV
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #49

Real Estate, Colorado
Sticks or forks? I vote fork. Evolution is a good thing.
Ed Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014   #50

Cottonwood, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by BilloutWest View Post

========

Yes. In Grand Canyon they're 23' long, made by Dave Demaree, and have Honda motors
AZJefe is offline   Reply With Quote