Old 03-17-2012   #21
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
some people here have a hard time believing that anything but their own boat brand has the capability to float for more than a few years in flat water.

I have an NRS E-Series, and think it is as well made as any other. like anything, there are different grades of boats in the NRS lineup- the cat tubes are basically otter quality (used to be about 36oz, now is 41 oz's of hypalon on 1100 denier base fabric, where the E-series is 48oz on 1670 denier fabric) The boats bottom is 3-5 layers thick is most places. I have been nothing but impressed with my boat.

I had 3 different hysides, (pro, outfitter, and rio bravo) and they were all good boats. if you actually want answers about the differences, I would call Mark or Judy at AAA- they sell RMR, Aire, Hyside, Achilles, Avon, and NRS. ask them (or any store that sells multiple brands that you are considering) what they like and why.

As for price, while the boat is the biggest part of the equation, you will be spending lots more, and a couple hundy one way or the other will vanish quickly, in the whole scheme of things. get what you like and get it wet alot.

Whoapiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #22
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Wow, I finally checked my posting and really enjoyed the battle between Wildh2onriver and Slavetotheflyrod. I feel special that you two used my post to say such sweet things to each other.
As for the the posts that actually gave me some insight to my question I say thank you. I'm am looking at other brands including Maravia, Sotar and Aire. I just had the opportunity to look at 2 used boats...NRS E150 and the E152. Both boat were priced pretty well. I still haven't decided on what I'm getting, but I do find it amazing the allegiance people have with certain companies and how fired up they can get talking about a raft. I'm pretty sure I will like whatever I decide to get.

Cartwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #23
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Just remember if you are purchasing from an outfitter they have probably had a hard life and most manufacturers will not warrant the product much more than 3 to 5 years under that type of service

Lots of good boats to choose from --- glad you are looking at a larger boat most people wish they had a bigger boat after a few seasons. (i went 14, 16, before i settled on 18' cat)

Happy boating and try and keep willy nelson out of your ass!!!

Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote