Geri Water Packs? Anyone use these? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-22-2015   #1

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2000
Geri Water Packs? Anyone use these?

Upgrading my raft/frame setup and I came across these flat water jugs. I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with these? They seem like they would be great for putting in a drop bag or strapped to the top of a cooler etc...

Product Page | Down River Equipment Company

bigmtnhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2015   #2

Cave Creek, Arizona
I saw these a a little while back. They look nice, but I ended up just going with 2 Scepter jugs. I will be interested to see if anyone has used these.
InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016   #3

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I am upgrading water storage as well. Anyone use the Expedition One Geri 4 Gallon jugs (link) and have a review they'd wanna share?

I was thinking of getting either them or the Scepter jugs (link), but it'd be nice if you could put them on the side rails and throw a pad over them and sit on them.

Are the Scepter jugs burly enough to sit on or is that a no go? Anyone sitting on the Expedition One Geri cans? Do they seem burly enough for sitting on?
spenceuiuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I strapped 2 to my side boards, and walked all over them for 3 weeks on the Grand. They held up very well. I didn't like the cost at first, but now I honestly think these things will last forever. Putting a pad on them and sitting on them should be no problem at all after what we did to them.

I really liked them because on top of being tough, there are the many tie down points around them, and the flatness made them much easier to deal with in a raft stuffed for that long of a trip.
Stilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016   #5

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilts View Post
I strapped 2 to my side boards, and walked all over them for 3 weeks on the Grand. They held up very well. I didn't like the cost at first, but now I honestly think these things will last forever. Putting a pad on them and sitting on them should be no problem at all after what we did to them.

I really liked them because on top of being tough, there are the many tie down points around them, and the flatness made them much easier to deal with in a raft stuffed for that long of a trip.
So were they awkward to use, given their long/narrow shape?

Also, will they sit upright on the narrow side on their own? I am thinking of rigging a spigot off of it and it would be nice to just sit them on a table and use spigot as needed.
spenceuiuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016   #6
Top Quality River Gear

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1960
Cascade River Gear

Hi, yes I have used them and we sell them here, they have been a popular item. I agree with a previous comment about them not sitting on the table easily on their own though and suggested to the manufacturer that they create some kind of brace for them. I loved the shape, it actually created another platform for loading in the back of the boat and we had one rigged on the side of the boat that was easily accessible and made another nice rigging spot. These have a freeze line and can be frozen, they fit into a YETI 125 in the top portion as an added way to keep your soda (wink, wink) and food cool and then provide more drinking water later in the trip.

I want to try out the black one out on my next extended trip for shower water!

Get Splashy,
Renee
Cascade River Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016   #7

Commerce/the Junc, Colorado
They look like a re-branded "RotoPax" very popular in the off-road community. No quality issues, they make good stuff. They also sell a mount for them, best prices are on Amazon.
SigNewt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016   #8

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2000
Geri Water Packs

I ended up buying two of the Geri Packs two years ago and have been very happy with them. They are extremely durable, can be easily strapped to anything and make for easy packing with their flat shape. The only complaints I have with them are: 1. As mentioned earlier they do not stand up on their own and have to be leaned up against something which really isn't a huge problem. 2. The cap for the pour spout. When you take the nozzle off the top and convert the cap into 'pour' mode meaning the spout is out, the cap that covers the end does not screw on, only fits 'tightly' on the end. I have noticed that on a few occasions where there is a lot of wind, which we all know can happen often on the river, the cap will blow off. I luckily have not lost one yet but has brought up some concerns. I am considering buying another just because they are so easy to pack.
bigmtnhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016   #9

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
We've been using water bricks. 4 per boat. Lots of strapping options, easy to carry. The only down side so far is that tapping water out of them is not the best option. We bring along a 2.5 gallon blue jug to decant into.

Products | WaterBrick

or

https://amzn.com/B0053GVRWQ
Old 07-15-2016   #10

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Read_N_Run View Post
We've been using water bricks. 4 per boat. Lots of strapping options, easy to carry. The only down side so far is that tapping water out of them is not the best option. We bring along a 2.5 gallon blue jug to decant into.

Products | WaterBrick

or

https://amzn.com/B0053GVRWQ
I really like the look of those....might have to get a few. The spectre cans fit pretty well in my raft, but they are pretty darn expensive for what they are. Those Waterbrick ones look like they'll fit well, are easy to secure and a reasonable price too.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote