Gamma lids seal - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-16-2016   #11

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
Go to Lowe's and buy a new one for 12$.

I'd take that deal n crawfish, then drill that ole devil in the ass.
They sent the new O-rings for $0. This is a much better price when you have multiple ones (I think we have 5 we use somewhat regularly?)

Advertisement

Old 06-16-2016   #12
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Read_N_Run View Post
I
I'll be this will cause a bunch of people to run and check to see if the seal is still on their lid

-Andrew

My Mojave box has a "Gamma lid" so I guess it should have a rubber seal.... Aww shit!

Sent from this thingy using Mountain Buzz
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016   #13

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
They sent the new O-rings for $0. This is a much better price when you have multiple ones (I think we have 5 we use somewhat regularly?)
I called them and they said send them an email to their service account. It's been three days without a word. Do you happen to remember who you contacted there?
Old 07-14-2016   #14

Niwot, Colorado
I just heard back from Gamma and they said they don't normally stock them but are willing to cut me a deal. 50 seals @ 1.70 each ($85 shipped). Obviously, I don't need that many so my first inclination would be to ask if others want some.

That being said, their o-rings are actually different from a standard o-ring. They are hollow o-rings - tubular if you may. They say that this creates a better seal between the top and the ring attached to the bucket. I'm not 100% convinced on this.

Anyway - it's clear that their current o-ring is not that great and it would seems that we would want either 1) a smaller diameter or 2) more resilient o-ring.

Anyone use an alternate solution (solid o-ring) that is water tight?

I've got a fair number of these tops so it's worth it for me to consider repairing rather than replacing.
Old 07-14-2016   #15

Portland, Oregon
The gamma lid oring is actually just o-ring cord spliced I believe. At least mine are. If you look close you can see where the ends are glued. You can buy oring cord sold by the foot of various types. Guessing Buna-N might be the best option. Silicone would take a higher temperature but not sure it would hold up as well. I've never tried making my own orings, so cannot claim they will take the abuse. This website was the first to come up on google, but might be a cheaper option out there.

Chemical Resistance Guide : The O-Ring Store LLC, We make getting O-Rings easy!
wabashabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016   #16

I just had 2-3 leak on Deso so I’d be in for several if you end up ordering them. I was thinking about ordering these:

http://freckleface.com/shopsite_sc/s...roduct716.html

They say they are better rubber and actually cheaper if you order a few than Gamma’s “deal” but there’s only one way to find out. I find it ridiculous they wouldn’t stock one of the three parts that make up this thing.

I’m also wondering if just putting a bead of silicone on the flat part where the screw top meets the seat wouldn’t do the trick.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016   #17

Cortez, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabashabi View Post
The gamma lid oring is actually just o-ring cord spliced I believe. At least mine are. If you look close you can see where the ends are glued. You can buy oring cord sold by the foot of various types. Guessing Buna-N might be the best option. Silicone would take a higher temperature but not sure it would hold up as well. I've never tried making my own orings, so cannot claim they will take the abuse. This website was the first to come up on google, but might be a cheaper option out there.

Chemical Resistance Guide : The O-Ring Store LLC, We make getting O-Rings easy!
Yup, it can be done. We used to make custom O-rings where I used to work. From roughly the size of a gamma seal to about 3' dia (about 1/2" thick). Not hollow though, they were solid and I think if I were to make a gamma seal O-ring, I'd rather make it solid, anyway.

Here's a short video that shows how to do it with a jig you can buy (from the website above), but you can also do it the way I describe below.

Anyway, all you do, is take a NEW single edge razor blade, put the O-ring cord on a scrap of wood, then while holding the O-ring firmly, push down with the razor blade (kinda like slicing a block of cheese), trying to make the squarest cut you can. Practice it a few times, til you're getting a good square cut, then take your measurement and make the final cut. Then glue it together with a drop of superglue. I like to use a scrap of wax paper (to keep it from sticking), then hold it firmly til it's set. A little v-block helps center the joint, but it's not necessary. Then gently sand the glue bead (or slight misalignment) on the joint with 200-300 grit paper til it's pretty smooth. Though the joint doesn't often break, they occasionally do, so keep superglue, sandpaper and razor blades in your tool kit.
grumper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016   #18

boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I have 2 crappy gaskets and would split them with you Andrew.
Old 07-15-2016   #19

Rocket Seals

If you are front range Colorado try Rocket Seals on S. Lipan st. O rings is all they sell.
zercon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016   #20

Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
I use silicon seal on the o-ring it keeps it shape and seals better. I use these buckets for food storage, they seal much better than gamma lids. My only complaint is they seal so tightly they tend to vapor lock when you seal them when it is hot. I had to put a small nick in the o-ring to allow the air pressure to equalize. Life Latch 6.5 GAL SCREW TOP Food Grade Bucket-3 Pack - Life Latch 5 Gal Screw Top Plastic Buckets
rivers2run is offline   Reply With Quote