Old 10-31-2015   #11
Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980

By salty, I mean wayne23, who says he used it on Green River and Leyland boats, which were vulcanized neoprene. Leylands probably date back to the 70s. Gaco is rubber paint, or liquid rubber. It adheres pretty well on neoprene, not quite as well on hypalon (even the hypalon paint). We used to repaint neoprene boats every season or so. It would help protect worn areas, but not as well as a wear patch, or maybe urethane. It is not as abrasion resistant as urethane, but I would paint it on a neoprene boat in a heartbeat. It's not cheap, though, and hard to find these days.

swiftwater15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015   #12
C. Springs, Colorado
I'd say the difference is in the hardness and flexibility of the product after it drys. The Gaco I've used remains so flexible you can't tell it's on there when you roll the boat. The American Camper I urethaned the floor of, is noticeably heavier and harder to roll.

caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015   #13
Eastern Slope, Colorado
For wear spots like the guide seat you would be much better off with a professionally installed wear patch. It will last longer, look better, and probably keep the boat's value higher.Several raft repair businesses give discounts to Mountain Buzz members. Check the ads or Partner's area.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015   #14
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Thanks guys, useful insight. The boat is vulcanized neoprene, a 95 dib. I bought if of a retired guide that practically stole (got cheap) from the outfitter he worked at. I paid two bills for it and don't plan on doing much to it, I just want to cover the wear spots to protect the fabric. This stuff apparently has a good shelf life. I think I'll try to contact gaco on Monday and see what they charge for this stuff. I'm sure DIB will charge me plenty for some patch material. I'll make some calls and see what's what, I may just get a repair kit from dib since I don't have a neo/hypalon specific kit yet.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015   #15
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Fabric will be way cheaper than the paint.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015   #16
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1979
Like I said before, we did not use without thinning....I'm pretty sure they did before me but it blistered. Never for pin holes or wear spots. We used it to turn black boats silver.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
wayne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015   #17
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 68
Another option is a flex polyurethane atop the neoprene; wonderful stuff on old boats

garyherballeaf is offline   Reply With Quote