Frame is too wide. Will this cause problems? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-05-2016   #1

Missoula, Montana
Frame is too wide. Will this cause problems?

I just purchased an AIRE Tributary 13 and had a Bighorn II frame on hand that is 66" wide, which is about 6" total over the recommended width. I thought I'd lay it on the raft to see what it looks like anyways, and the attached picture is the result. The frame is mostly resting on the cross bars rather than the side rails. With some load, it does appear to sit on the side rails in some places.

Is it possible to make this work, or would this create complications, such as unnecessary wear? My intentions for this raft are mostly fishing day trips, weekend overnights, and one or two week long floats per year. Whitewater will be kept to a minimum until I'm more experienced.

Appreciate any help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160705_195942.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	619.1 KB
ID:	11906  

faulke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2016   #2

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
It will be very easy to disassemble the frame, cut down those cross bars, and reassemble. Cut them so the side rail rests just outside the top centerline of the tubes, yet the oar stands are within the outside edge of the tubes. If you need help cutting the pipe, I would think you have a metal shop nearby that would be able to make those cuts in a matter of minutes. Good luck.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016   #3

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
If you ever plan to use the frame on another boat, I'd just leave it. It's a bit wide, but I don't see that causing any problems. Somebody here will probably tell you it's an entrapment hazard, and to that I say, all rafts are.

If you only ever want to use it on that boat, then yeah, cut it down.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016   #4

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
meh, I run my raft the same way. Unless you are hitting the Gorge in high water I see no threat around here. Mine does dig into the tubes a bit especially if I run it underinflated but my only concern was if it got so soft that bolts for the lo-pros could touch the tubes. I just keep looking on craigslist for the frame I want, and hope someone wants a 72"

If you know someone who needs a 72" maybe Ill take your 66"
Jamesdking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016   #5

Missoula, Montana
Old 07-06-2016   #6

Meridian, Idaho
Id put some sideboards on and run it. I run a 13' trib with diamond plate sides that is 63" wide overall with no issues.
Mopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016   #7

Basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Another consideration is your oar set-up. If the balance and angle of the oars is comfortable then go with it as is. [and height of oarlocks is ok with your seat height]
also I noticed a thigh bar in one of your photo's - as long as that 'T' does not dig into the boat when raised, you should be ok . or you can add a couple of wear patches at those points. row it a couple of times then you can always cut down. a miter saw with a carbide blade cuts the stuff good [ makes a mess ] sand off burrs.
rogwilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016   #8

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoStep View Post
It will be very easy to disassemble the frame, cut down those cross bars, and reassemble. Cut them so the side rail rests just outside the top centerline of the tubes, yet the oar stands are within the outside edge of the tubes. If you need help cutting the pipe, I would think you have a metal shop nearby that would be able to make those cuts in a matter of minutes. Good luck.
Faulke Im with you that it seems to wide. I doubt that it will hurt anything but I like the weight distributed as much as possible with the side rails, (and since this is all a hobbie it is fun to fine tune things) Which, like Dostep points out is best just outside of center. I have been doing this procedure that he points out for years by cutting down cross rails, reinstalling the LoPros, then drilling a new hole at 1". (don't try to match up the old ones) Works great and I actually enjoy the pocess. Good luck.

JamesDKing, how much narrower does yours need to be?
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016   #9
18' Kodiak

None Ya Creek, The Last Best Place...
I'd cut the cross bars and put the side rails were they should be. If this boat, that you just bought, is going to be your "babe", and the fit bugs you, it will always bug you.
ob1coby makes a good point about not matching holes but it is easy if you have the right tools and a background in such a task.
And don't just wack 6" off of that foot bar. That is going to need an equal amount off both ends.
I'm close to you in regards to location. If you need a hand, or a shuttle, let me know.
Ya got a nice new boat, pimp it out...
evL_MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016   #10

Missoula, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1coby View Post
Faulke Im with you that it seems to wide. I doubt that it will hurt anything but I like the weight distributed as much as possible with the side rails, (and since this is all a hobbie it is fun to fine tune things) Which, like Dostep points out is best just outside of center. I have been doing this procedure that he points out for years by cutting down cross rails, reinstalling the LoPros, then drilling a new hole at 1". (don't try to match up the old ones) Works great and I actually enjoy the pocess. Good luck.

JamesDKing, how much narrower does yours need to be?
I could lose 4" overall and it would be much closer to center. But one day I dream of getting my 16' NRS E series and it should be perfect! And as a fishing rig primarily, I dont mind it as it is.