Frame ideas for RMR storm - Page 7 - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-31-2016   #61

Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by 802flyfish View Post
I don't know if I can justify buying a 300 or 400 dollar cooler, but that's just me. I do like the added benefit of a snap on seat, but that's another 100.00 dollar accessory. RTIC had a fairly long wait time, however I think it's only down to a month or so currently.

A $300 or $400 cooler is only necessary if you plan to do trips over 4 or 5 days. A properly managed, $25 coleman 48 will keep cold for 3+ days in temps pushing 100 deg, and a Yeti doesn't keep those beers any colder for just the day flyfishing trips. A slight upgrade will get you something with a lid you can sit on without warping it.

Here in the east, it cracks me up seeing all these people scrambling to buy Yetis...when you often have to stretch a trip/drag your feet if you want 3 nights and 4 days on a river and 98% of the people I run into that have them, only daytrip.

Don't get me wrong, they're nice, durable etc...I'd like to have one but it will probably only come in one of two ways...1) I find it along side of the road after it dropped off a truck, or 2) someone buys one for me (no one will ever buy one for me).

2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2016   #62

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kanzam View Post
A $300 or $400 cooler is only necessary if you plan to do trips over 4 or 5 days. A properly managed, $25 coleman 48 will keep cold for 3+ days in temps pushing 100 deg, and a Yeti doesn't keep those beers any colder for just the day flyfishing trips. A slight upgrade will get you something with a lid you can sit on without warping it.

Here in the east, it cracks me up seeing all these people scrambling to buy Yetis...when you often have to stretch a trip/drag your feet if you want 3 nights and 4 days on a river and 98% of the people I run into that have them, only daytrip.

Don't get me wrong, they're nice, durable etc...I'd like to have one but it will probably only come in one of two ways...1) I find it along side of the road after it dropped off a truck, or 2) someone buys one for me (no one will ever buy one for me).
You ARE correct. I had experience with that theory. My Walmart Igloo 120qt held cold food and Ice for well over 5 days when packed with high quality block ice. The difference for me was when I heard it crack when passengers sat on it, then I stood on it to hang something from branch and fell through the lid. I patched it up with Duct tape, got home, and watched for good deals until I found a roto-molded unit.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016   #63

Monte Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
8' oars here and I would not go longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
SLVCampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016   #64

Silverthorne, Colorado
You make a very valid statement. I do plan on doing multi overnights. I plan on getting the knock off YETI. It's half the price and very similar in terms of durability and construction.
802flyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016   #65

Silverthorne, Colorado
I contacted RBW and they still haven't gotten back to me yet, just shot DRE an email about their frame. They both look solid.
Old 03-31-2016   #66

SeaTown, NW
Quote:
I contacted RBW and they still haven't gotten back to me yet, just shot DRE an email about their frame. They both look solid.
Mark may have some stuff in stock over at ontheriver supply as well. He has a bunch of cool goodies in stock from DRE
nastysauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016   #67

Monte Vista, Colorado
Quote:

Call, ask for Curt...he will sort you out and make your mind spin with the options!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
SLVCampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016   #68

Silverthorne, Colorado
Anyone aware of any places that still have 2015 RMR storms left?
Old 04-05-2016   #69

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Here's a good one of the storm with a stern frame
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	278
Size:	3.97 MB
ID:	11278  
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016   #70

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
Here's a good one of the storm with a stern frame
Awesome pic, can hardly see a boat at all.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote