Frame ideas for RMR storm - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-28-2016   #11

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
I never said that NRS frames were bad, just that must people and guides that I've talked to in Colorado are more fond of custom frames. I'm not opposed to an NRS frame, I think the pricing is on point though. I'm open to anything just going off other people's opinions at this point.

802flyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2016   #12

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
I've been looking at this frame quite a bit. Product Page - Down River Equipment Company looking at this frame quite a bit.
802flyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016   #13
swimming

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhaven View Post
802 isn't one of those guys - he's just new enough to the buzz that his impressions have been tainted by the SW Oregon Frame Nazi's. Give him time, he'll figure out that NRS frames outnumber all others 10:1, even in Oregon.

With that said 802, you should PM spider and get the details on his frame. It's super nice, I've seen it up close.

You bring up an interesting point, I am one of the ones who ordered a welded frame out of Oregon because thats what I wanted and NRS may be starting to out number welded frames because the shopping demographic is different, people are scared to make decisions anymore, they are scared of buying the wrong thing, NRS is the safe play until they become a good boater, they are too scared to put faith in a professional to set them up properly . It's like going to get fitted for ski boots and getting the ones with no toes because you don't trust the guy at the shop to fit your boot and someone on the internet who has been in the sport a year says buy the toeless one then you don't have to worry about it being right."Dumbest shit I have ever heard".

I don't consider a pipe railing frame custom at all. It is more of a beginner kit for those who think they need to move bars around. If you think thats what you want go for it. I do offer this point, The guy building a high end welded frame can certainly bend simple parts and duplicate a pipe fitting frame "probably for half the cost" the pipe frame builders can't duplicate what the welded guys do that's why they are bending hoops and using allen wrenches if that gives you any insight to skill levels. A NRS style might fit the bill perfect for someone flying in, If I owned anything break down for flying or transport it would be whitewater machine works not all this heavy stuff. The frame pissing match is so old. You can sit on here all day long and read BS. Call around and talk to people, I did and didn't end up with a frame from the general consensus so I skipped the step of having to sell all my stuff and upgrade.

You will notice something about this place, these guys aren't looking out for your best interests of what would work for you. They will never throw every builder out there for you to contact and make your own decision.They have a hardon about making a certain builders life miserable and trying to keep people from buying from him, it's a sick little game they play. If they keep you out of a nice custom frame they win. If you buy one you have a nicer frame and point goes to the other team. Don't let people play your ass think for yourself whatever you choose. I sent you a link to a couple other places these guys won't help you with.
Riverbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016   #14

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
Quote Riverbound. NRS is a safe play in till they become a good boater. Man there must be a lot of shitty boaters out on the river. Any ways NRS is a safe play. It lets a new boater figure out what works for them.

I would guess spider's frame was built by spider.
I am an American Whitewater member. One of 6300. There are an estimated 100000 paddlers in the U S. If you are not a member you should join. AW is fighting for our rivers everyday and could use some help.
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016   #15

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Riverbound, your foil hat fell off.
Old 03-28-2016   #16

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbound View Post
people are scared to make decisions anymore, they are scared of buying the wrong thing, NRS is the safe play until they become a good boater, they are too scared to put faith in a professional to set them up properly . It's like going to get fitted for ski boots and getting the ones with no toes because you don't trust the guy at the shop to fit your boot and someone on the internet who has been in the sport a year says buy the toeless one then you don't have to worry about it being right."Dumbest shit I have ever heard".

I don't consider a pipe railing frame custom at all. It is more of a beginner kit for those who think they need to move bars around. If you think thats what you want go for it.
I would disagree with this. It's not about playing it safe or being a beginner for me. Modular frames NRS, AAA, DRE, RBW, etc give you the flexibility to alter your frame depending on the needs of specific trips. My multi day trip configuration is not the same as day trip with kids. Nor is it the same of how I set things up specifically for fishing.

Don't get me wrong. I think welded frames look sweet, and probably perform really well. They just seem to have very little alteration without cutting and re-welding.
Old 03-28-2016   #17

Rivertown, West Virginia
Oh and Riverbound is Greenwalls buddy. So some bias is expected. I am going to tell you Greenwald builds some supper nice frames. He just has a huge ego and rubs a lot of people the wrong way.
I am an American Whitewater member. One of 6300. There are an estimated 100000 paddlers in the U S. If you are not a member you should join. AW is fighting for our rivers everyday and could use some help.
Old 03-28-2016   #18

Rivertown, West Virginia
Oh and one more thing. That is a weak ass NRS fitting frame there in my avatar stroking Pillow rock on the Upper Gauley I don't know how it has stayed together after all the trips it has made with a shitty boater rowing it.
Old 03-28-2016   #19

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2015
My RMR Storm Set Up

I have a RMR Storm that I've been setting up over the last year (pinching pennies, but doing it well). I am hoping to get out on it this weekend and can take more detailed pictures. The photo i am attaching now has my crappy old cooler, but it did the job.

I have an NRS frame and it's been good to me. The things that sold me on it are that the nuts and bolts are easily found at hardware stores and use common tools. Also, NRS had a 20% off sale back over Christmas and it got the price down. The final consideration I had is that it seems like used parts for these frames pop up more frequently than any other brand.

The way I set mine up is with a raised swivel seat in the front (much easier to move around for an angler) and then I have a Yeti 45 with the foam seat accessory to row from. I don't have a trailer (would like one though) and it all fits in the back of my Outback and takes 30 min to set up and 30 min to take apart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12799302_10205903382849379_4567285972067133021_n.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	11200  
carloritschl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016   #20

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhaven View Post