Old 11-04-2015   #1
whitefish, Montana
Paddling Since: 00
Frame christmas shopping

I have long used nrs frames but am now in the market for a quality break apart cargo frame for my aire 156r. I am looking for a frame that would allow me to carry two dry boxes, cooler, and two aluminum captains boxes. I am reaching out for advice from people that have this type of frame that may be able to point me in the right direction on a quality built frame like this.

whitefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015   #2
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Pretty easy to build your own- I used fittings. Had a footbar welded up. Came out great. No expensive tools necessary. PM me if you want some pics or anything-

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015   #3
Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
Curious what makes NRS frames not a quality break down frame? Is the the need for a wrench, or something I don't realize is an issue only a couple years into rafting?
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015   #4
whitefish, Montana
Nrs frames are fine but take a lot of time to tear down and set up when it is a large frame with many components.
Old 11-05-2015   #5
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 68
Google "Raft Frames" The first 50 all make good frames, 40 of which are made in the USA. The one that starts with a N is overpriced by a factor of two. Whitewater Machine Works makes a good frame but the tube is a little small and henceforth satisfied with redundancy
garyherballeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015   #6
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
We don't own one, but the Recretec breakdown frames I've seen belonging to friends appear to be pretty nice.

We just had a custom cat frame and dry boxes fabricated by Mike DeHoff, Eddyline Welding in Moab. He may not show up on a google search since he's only been full time at it a few years. Super easy and responsive frame welder to work with. Ours was a custom 2-module frame with a lot of details that my wife and wanted included. Mike also had many good suggestions. It's not breakdown, but I can't believe he could build one.
tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015   #7
Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Talk to Gary at rowframes .Com. he makes great frames at a good price if you don't mind a little aluminum stain. I covered the bottom half of mine with 3 inch clear surface guard tape and it blocks most of the stains

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
John_in_Loveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015   #8
I made a frame out of whitewater machine works fittings last winter and I love it. Those pieces allow you to do some very cool things - and they break down quickly and easily. Check them out.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015   #9
Coastal, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1987
Eddyline looks like all the rest half home made looking frames.I was hoping to look at his page and go wow. Been a long time since I have seen something that made me go wow in frames.I did see a little orange hyside on the Rogue with a whitewater machine works frame. It is a cool little setup for compact fly in or something. Some dude floating solo with barely any gear and a map. At least Guy at WWMW does his own thing with his own mind, developed a cool system for people to put stuff together at home, that's what I like to see. A monkey can cobble together a frame.
People really need to stop saying custom frame
Getting Design,Function,Flow and Finish out of someone doesn't happen often.
GreenWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015   #10
whitefish, Montana
The recretec frames do look very sweet and the cambridge salmon outfitter frame also looks simple and very functional what outher frames along these lines are out there, the latch in dry boxes are great idea and reduce the massive amount of straps envolved in rigging a multiday boat.