Old 11-08-2015   #41
Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by whitefish View Post
Thanks for the insight cataraft girl, You speak the truth on the nrs frames they are great in many ways but my problem has been not wanting to trailer my boat long distances. That in turn requires me to break down my frame to get it in the vehicle get to the put in build the frame then take it apart again at the take out. . .
Man, that sounds like a lot of work to avoid a trailer. In fact, I've been trying to get myself into a set-up that's the opposite: I want to keep my boat rigged forever, and never take it off (or better yet, out of) the trailer except at the river.

Just out of curiosity, is it a fuel efficiency thing that makes you not want to use a trailer, or parking or what?

climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015   #42
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
If you're concerned about frame wear on the tubes or something along those lines, you could just trailer the frame.

We didn't break it down, but in the early days of cataraft ownership, we carry the frame on top of our truck and everything else inside. It wasn't long before we bought a trailer and started to trailer our frame & tubes rigged and just dry boxes and gear under it in the trailer. Makes life way simpler at the ramp.

tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015   #43
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I can't imagine ever unrigging/re-rigging a boat for transport and storage. I leave everything rigged and on my trailer. I don't even take out my cooler, I just wash it and pack it while its in the boat. I leave all my rafting gear, clothing and pfd's in the boat as well. Its always ready to go and it saves a lot of time. I drove about 3500 miles this year with my trailer and I don't plan to slow down.
Treswright3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015   #44
Post Falls, Idaho
I broke down my large raft for the maiden voyage and decided right then if I was to stay with the sport a trailer is mandatory.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015   #45
south lake tahoe, California
Paddling Since: 1974
Long trips I roll the boat in the back of the truck, strap the frame on top and go for it. In Cali when trailering we have to go 55 instead of 70. Sucks for extended periods of time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mountain Buzz mobile app
chiapet74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015   #46
Westfield, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
I break down my NRS frame the way ElkHaven mentioned. I take it apart at the cross rails...which is faster and easier than dealing with u-bolts and re-spacing. I really like the NRS low pros for the ease of frame modification.

My frame is a homemade 3 bay frame with NRS low pros, similar to a "compact outfitter frame". My raft is an Aire Super Puma. Sometimes I skip a cross bar or two for day runs, or switch to my short side bars. Many of my favorite put ins (steep small volume rivers) require a carry along a narrow walking trail up to 1/2 mile from the parking area. The longest was a 2.5 mile carry uphill in New Hampshire to a narrow creek. I carry the frame, oars, day gear on one trip.. Then turtle the blown up raft solo down th trail to the put in. If my wife is involved, she helps a little. A trailered fully rigged boat is really nice, but not for remote put ins. But with limited storage space in the winter, a break down frame and raft that rolls is also nice.
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015   #47
Canon City, Colorado
Originally Posted by chiapet74 View Post
In Cali when trailering we have to go 55 instead of 70. Sucks for extended periods of time.
Really!?? That does suck.

climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote