Old 10-26-2013   #21
Craig, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Pics of my run thru Lava in 2012.... boatwash is open! Maybe you can get a better idea of my forward rowing position and frame setup. Cheers, and happy boating too all!

water wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013   #22
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Awesome pics- that last one is classic!

Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013   #23
Greeley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1982
Hi, Catwoman,

My experiences rowing a cargo-carrying cat from the front rowing position are similar to those of Water Wizard. I've rowed a 14' Ocelot from a forward rowing position RecreTec frame for over 20 years, and a 16.5 foot Argonaut (prototype to the Aire double-tubed Panther) for 7 years, and then a 17 foot (x 26" tube) Sotar Classic St for five years, from the front position. Initially, The Argonaut was rowed from the center position, but once I tried it in the front, I never went back. I've rowed the bigger boats from the front on Cataract Canyon, Grand, Lochsa, Rio Grande, Salt, Salmon, MF Salmon, Taos Box, Animas, Arkansas, Piedra, and others.

The boat pivots quickly, provides a balanced load, provides me with a better view of the river, allows me to power through big waves/holes, while protecting my precious cargo (wife).

I have a 5 bay DRE frame with scouting bars and pins in front bay, rower and cooler in second bay, passenger foot brace and 2 captains boxes in third bay, passenger seating and dry box in fourth bay, and fifth bay is a drop bag for dry bags beneath an aluminum table.

The large cargo carrying, front row module boat will "feel" different, but it all comes down to personal preference. What I most enjoy is being that close to the big wave or the big hole. You may have to just try it to see what you like. If you are carrying children, it's nice to have them behind you, for protection, but you also need to turn around periodically to make sure they didn't get washed out in the last rapid.

Good luck with your decision!
Albuyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013   #24
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Originally Posted by Swank View Post

This thread has given me some good ideas for a winter project. I could easily add a footbar and move my passengers forward but, honestly it looks like a person could potentially slip halfway through it. Is this a concern?
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013   #25
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
I've never come close or heard of anyone falling off the front of his boat. Even my terrified wife on our recent Westwater trip didn't feel like she would go thought here. I just asked her to make sure. LOL When we went over skull rapid I believe her though was the world is ending but not that she was falling through the foot bar. Those seats really give a great and secure perch.
Swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013   #26
Louisville, Colorado
Some great cat boat photos on this thread!

Cody - what is your total frame length in your photos?

Swank - I have fallen off the front of a cat, after it was stuffed not quite straight into the hole of a large pour over on the Selway. That was before we started rowing a bit forward and putting passengers in back.
catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013   #27
salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
In the photo its a 12 foot frame
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013   #28
Leavenworth, Washington
Paddling Since: 1994
forward rowing?

I thought I was a forward rower on my expedition cat.... Then I looked at the photos. Once the modules are on and the baggage/passengers are on I guess I am in the middle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	middle fork 2012 barge.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	285.3 KB
ID:	7273
GBWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013   #29
Louisville, Colorado
Pulled the trigger on an orange 16' Aire Lion yesterday. Sorry GBWW, looks like we might be twins, I didn't realize your boat was orange until just now. We will row from the second bay of a 122 inch frame, sitting over the cooler in the third bay on a mesh flip seat, dry box fourth bay, a 26 inch odds and ends bay with barney bag and transom plate in the back. The front bay will be 4 RBs with a table and we will have 20 inch trailer frame to put on the front (could swap RBs into the trailer frame too). Captain's boxes and a bimini will also be on board. All dry boxes will be pinned to the frame. What do y'all think? What am I missing? Other suggestions?Maybe we will have photos by Christmas. I am more than a little excited.

Anybody want a 14 ' NRS river cat for Christmas? It served us well for many years, still has warranty, and has never had a leak. Check out the swap.
catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013   #30
Denver-ish, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Originally Posted by Swank View Post
I've been on this boat on numerous runs including browns and have rowed it on a westwater trip and like the center rowing position. 2 bays seperate the passengers from the rowing compartment. Not even come close to hitting someone. The boat turns and pivots well being centered. This is my buddy Toan's boat.

I seem to recall helping your friend Toan with his very first setup of this rig on the Upper C a couple years ago. I remember that custom black decking. I don't recall him having the front foot bar back then, but he may have poached the idea from me! I made mine big enough to put a clam bag in when extra storage is needed. Also, in the 5 seasons with that bar, no negative complications from it.(knock on wood) Picture to follow if I can find a decent one focused on the bar.

On the thread topic, I like the versatility of rowing as close to center as possible.

yesimapirate is online now   Reply With Quote