Old 10-24-2013   #11
Craigamerica, -
For a cat I think being forward of center is the way to go. These are pics of my 16 Kodiak with a 5 bay frame. My father has a very similar setup with a smaller rear box and a 6 bay frame. For a passenger he leaves the second to last bay empty and has them sit on a table that goes across the last bay. On a new frame design you could kick the rear box back one bay and have the passenger sit behind the rowing bay. I wouldn't mess around with the trailer frame and just build a six bay from the get go. I'll try to load more pics of them both side by side on our Grand trip.

sledhooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013   #12
Waha, Ida'maho
Paddling Since: 01
aside from the awesome factor, is that tractor seat actually comfortable?

Simply in between swims
floatingk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #13
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
For a long time I used to oar a raft with a stern frame. Since it was the only thing I knew, I got to be proficient at navigating it.

Then I switched to a cat and centered the oar position roughly center

Since then I tried a trip where I rowed from the front and did not like it. For one I felt like I was swinging a bowling ball bag.

The second thing to consider is the oars and the boats overall profile. My cat is 18' and my oars 11' (about 20' wide while rowing). There are tight spots I find myself in where I have to stay at roughly 45 to avoid scraping while retaining the ability to row. Seems like the center position accomplishes this best

I think I will keep running this way (row forward in a lightly loaded play cat) but not in my gear cat (row center)
Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #14
Louisville, Colorado
Your setup is very similar to what we are thinking. Only we would have RB's upfront under a table (to which other gear could be strapped), dry box under the seat, then cooler in the 4th bay, and what-have-you in the fifth and trailer bay if needed. Also we are getting a frame with transom plate as we would like to get a motor someday. With respect to rowing a bit forward, I also like the ability to hop out the front quicker when rowing solo. We currently have a 14' NRS cat that we have been rowing slightly forward, and I used to have a little wildcat that I definitely rowed in front of the little bit of gear it could carry. The only time I ever had issues with steering either of those boats was when the weight was not centered. It looks as though we will be going on the grand next year, and we have found the 14' cat easy to overload on more common week long trips with 2 people, so we may part with it for an expedition 16. Thanks for the thoughts everyone, keep them coming!
catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #15
Old Guy in a PFD
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
I may have rowed one of the first Cats in the Rocky Mountain region. This was a 20' monster with not only really big (22") tubes, but it also had two additional mini tubes at the waterline on both sides, on both tubes. I wanted it to be a big, long trip, cargo hauler. It would easily handle all the gear, including bags, for 30 people for 5 days.

I learned really quick that the cat was much easier to row, and sat much higher in the water than the conventional rafts. It would haul an incredible weight nicely, and it was a joy to run.

But, in wind it was lousy; you see, it sat much higher in the water so it grabbed less current and more wind.

I also discovered that pushing it was a waste of time; it tracked nicely, but it was so quick to turn that keeping it on a line was almost impossible if I tried to push. If I was pulling it, tracking was as good, but keeping it on line was about the same as for a conventional rig.

I didn't design it as a people hauler, but it surely could. I could put them in front (where they served as a water and wind break for me) but I'd always want a cooler bay between us, and a bag bay behind me.

Don't know if this helps much. Loved the Cat, wish I still had it. I have a couple of pictures around someplace; I'll see if I can find them.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #16
Craig, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Hi, Catwoman. I'm the Sledhooligan's Dad and run a similar Cat with NRS Kodiak Tubes. I have setup my DRE Cat Frame a lot of different ways over the years, but really like the oar towers (rowing position) moved forward. The advantages are: Cat spins much faster with pivot point forward. Better "push thru" in big waves and holes - more punching power! Cat in general moves easier with push strokes. Properly loaded tubes lay flat on the water - no rear endos! Passengers sit behind you - not obstructing your oars or view and they really stay dry!.... just my opinion. Another major factor on why these boats are so fun too run is also related to the tube diameter. Big tubes like our Kodiaks carry big gear loads easily and still have excellent hull speed.... they are quite simply "The Shit"! Give it a try, I think you will really dig this setup!
water wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #17
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
I've been on this boat on numerous runs including browns and have rowed it on a westwater trip and like the center rowing position. 2 bays seperate the passengers from the rowing compartment. Not even come close to hitting someone. The boat turns and pivots well being centered. This is m buddy Toan's boat.

Here is my buddy Terry's boat that I've also ridden on and rowed through Pumphouse. This photo is of his boat on Browns also.

Swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #18
Waha, Ida'maho
Paddling Since: 01
those, my friend, are amazing photos!
Simply in between swims
floatingk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #19
durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1964
Originally Posted by catwoman View Post
Hubby and I are considering purchasing and stylishly outfitting a 16 foot large diameter tube expedition cataraft. The frame would be a 5 bay frame with a trailer frame for those extra long trips. The captain's foot bay would have two captains boxes. In the first stab at design in the local river shop the foot bay was the middle of the five bays, and passengers would sit on the front bay with a foot bar. However, I genuinely dislike having passengers in front of me. I can't see, and when I need to make a big hard forward push through the wave, they are inevitably leaning back from the splash and getting in my way. This is particularly true for cats, where the folks can't squish down in the front of the boat. So we are considering moving the rowing bay forward one and having passengers in the back, without a foot bay when the loads are big. The trailer frame could go on the front or the back. If the trailer frame was on the front, the rowers bay would be more centered. I have liked a more forward rowing position in smaller cats, but have never rowed a cat this big. The length of the tubes should make centering the load a non-issue. Does anyone row an expedition Cat that way? Pros? Cons? Suggestions? Inane comments?
Dear Catwoman,

We build a lot of custom size large cat boats. We have a new design for a solar cat for Texas Tec that is going to be on the Great Salt Lake for month at a time. Not a river cat, but a large cargo lake cat. Well that is one extreme, another are some large pontoons used for dredging gold off the ocean near Nome Alaska. Anyway If you would like to have some custom tubes designed, have a look at this web site

You are right to talk about the utility of the frame. I am not a big fan of rowing cargo from the front, because the center of spin is behind your head, and that is difficult to get accustom to. but on big rivers where there is lots of room It should not be too bothersome. Certainly is a choice and if people in front of you is more bothersome do what works for you.

Anyway thanks for having a look.

jpwinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013   #20
salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I run a setup very close to what you are talking about... I run a 16' lion with a six bay 12' frame the last bay being a 24" extension that I can remove... I run a dry box up front with a beverage cooler behind that... the third bay is my foot bay on a seat bar with the fourth bay being passengers foot bay.. fifth bay is a large 150qt food cooler and sixth bay is a pacific river bag... I don't like having anyone in front of me and my girlfriend doesn't like being up front.. and I build the pacific river bag up for a nice reclining lounge chair affect for the passenger.. for day runs a pull the front dry box and make it a passenger foot bay and they sit on the cooler... the oar stands are a little front of center but not much..

codycleve is online now   Reply With Quote