Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 07-15-2015   #1
Denver, Colorado
floor stretch and replacement questions, what does it do to dimensions?

Well, I'm trying to decide what size dry box to install and not totally sure.
Current bucket floor has the tubes about 33" inside to inside.
When I install a thwart that doesn't hold air for more than 10 minutes, it stretches the floor out to 38" wide inside to inside.
If I decide to and can find an inflatable floor, will it stretch the floor back out to a 38" type distance or?
Tony at Achilles said a new floor may fit, he recommended not just cutting and grommeting, but cutting the flange a bit longer and then gluing it to the tubes up a bit so the floor wasn't sagging below the tubes.
He thought it was doable with just grommets, but he was worried I'd be floating on the floor instead of the tubes. Thoughts from experts or those with more experience are welcomed!

jonseim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015   #2
Denver, Colorado
No dry boxes for now for me, going to see if we put a floor in and then see what size might work.

jonseim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015   #3
Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
An inflatable floor definitely has to be up higher on the tubes a little for the reason he stated...it would be pretty piggish otherwise.

A new floor shouldn't push it out at all.... but thwarts will. Thwarts pushing it out 5in seems like a lot....does the thwart go to this boat? I run an old hyside with one thwart that is for a larger boat, ut doesn't push the tubes out much at all, if any really although it does give the boat some stability.
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote