Old 02-26-2015   #1
Missoula, Montana
Fishing frame for a 13' Hyside

I just bought a 13' hyside outfitter. I'm not opposed to the NRS fishing system, but after a number of seasons of heavy use those fittings tend to get loose. I'm looking for a frame builder who will try to work with my design ideas. Given that I am in the Missoula area, does anyone have any great thoughts? Again, I'm not opposed to buying an NRS frame. I just sold one that had about a decade on it and it was loosey-goosey, but it still functioned. Any suggestions?

RFO Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015   #2
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Very happy with my custom fishing frame from DRE

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015   #3
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
Fishing frame for a 13' Hyside

NRS is still your best option. I am not at all sure what you mean about the fittings getting loose but I bet they can easily be tightened.
DRE frames are nice but I'm not sure they are an upgrade. NRS seems to have the fishing components figured out.
I have fished out of both NRS frames and the differences are small. DRE frames are heavier. I do like there stripping baskets though.

Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015   #4
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
There are two companies in NW Montana that make custom fishing frames, both very similar, so maybe they're the same company??? Anyways Custom Street Stuff and Montana Raft Frames. They have some pretty innovative ideas and use mixtures of NRS and speed-rail (like DRE) fittings, plus welded risers, foot bars and rod holders and anchor systems.

I agree with Sembob, I've had a NRS frames for a dozen plus years and there is nothing loosy goosy about them. I've never had things loosen up but if it did happen it's nothing a 1/2" ratchet can't take care of.

I built a fishing frame last winter that I really like. As it turns out it's all NRS fittings (low-pros) because I already had them, but if I were to be buying all the components I would have used both speed-rail and low-pros, each in specific places. I had a few of the parts custom bent and still have some tweeks to do this winter but too me it's nearly perfect.

If you're not a DIY'er working with one of the local(ish) frame companies might get you a combo that's exactly what you want, with some degree of modularity ('cause nothing is perfect for every situation).
Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015   #5
south lake tahoe, California
Paddling Since: 1974
I started with a NRS BigHorn2 frame and built it up from there. 10 years of guiding and mine is rock solid. I like it cause when I can take the family out I can take the front seat off, put another cross bar on, slap a board down and some pads and now the wife and kids have a bench seat. I put a board across the boat right behind the rowers seat, makes a perfect casting platform.
chiapet74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015   #6
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Guy on the access road to Rock Creek does fishing frames

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote