Old 02-28-2015   #31
Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
I should be pretty happy with that boat for a good long time, it will be very versatile. You can make a simple speedrail frame for fairly cheap and pickup everything you need to make it at just about any local hardware store. Check out Raft Frames Modular, Take-a-Part Raft, Universal Raftframe, there is a wealth of info here.

TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015   #32
[ in the 8 years I've owned mine, I did it once just to replace the zipper. I have no signs of wear on the bladders or the tubes from silt on the inside. Its really a non-issue that all the Sotards like to complain about even though they have never owned and AIRE/Trib. As long as you keep your zippers in decent working order, the benefits of ease of repair far outweigh the "downfalls" of the AIREcell system.[/QUOTE]
Yep, I'd have to agree. I don't repair too many Aires. That zipper thing can ofen be headed off by keeping zipper lubed(I'm talking twice a year-you rich guys can do it once a year-and zipping it a couple times), make sure bladder is aligned well(look for ceases or a leaning fill valve) so pressure is evened out, and the big attention to wear areas or threads letting loose, (you can beef up the remaining thread and new sewing you do with "waDered" down aquaseal-the miracle formula. Always got a big 8 oz tube in the freezer. Repaired my Vibram 5 fingers last night, reinforced a car battery connector and reattached some lining on a motor cycle helmet today.

bodfishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015   #33
I've Been Framed!

Bite the bullet and get an NRS frame. They are well worth the money and you can expand on them. And a several day trip and you'll be glad you got their highback seat. We tried different ways to get low cost frames. but you have to put up with 2 much. Take the time you would spend hunting things down and trying to make things work(and it's almost always way more time and money than you would think) and grab some side jobs for $10/hr-get your boss to order it. The connections are wrap around type you tightened with a 7/16, not a lame pin through or coupling with hex screws that knarl up the frame and provide too little surface area to make 2 pieces behave as one.
Oh, and how 'bout that steel frame I got cheap. I think a chiropractor sold it to me.
bodfishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015   #34
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Has anyone heard any negative feedback about modular frames such as on It seems sort of too good to be true, it's basically an NRS compact outfitter for half the price.....?

cschmidt1023 is offline   Reply With Quote