Old 01-30-2015   #21
Kernville, California
Paddling Since: 1975
Originally Posted by GratefulOne View Post
Brandon, and Folks at Hyside, Ya'll Rock!!! Thank you for everything you do! That's a kick ass offer and I wish more companies shared your attitude , professionalism, and bomb-proof product design! the mini max was probably the best purchase ive ever made!!! May you all be blessed with abundant snowpack and sustained run-off! Cheers!
Thanks for the kind words! We could definitely use some snowpack or any moisture for that matter, here in CA.

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman View Post
Wish I had known I would be eligible for a hyside pro deal. Been guiding for CrabApple Whitewater for the past decade. We primarily use hysides. Nice light boats. However in the past few years my boss/owner has not been happy with the quality of Hysides made after 2008. I have lost tips on commercial runs due to a blown out tube, and multiple glue failures on the knuckle-pin thwart set up ( sucks having a swimmer due toe failed glue). CrabApple has be experimenting and switching over to NRS brand boats.

I chose my aire super puma based on dimensions and weight more than cost. Just a great boat for R1, R2 on our low volume runs. And can load it up. Paddled a tributary on the main salmon and other idaho runs. We beat the hell out of it, and portaged it through brush/ rocks. The tributary looks to have similar materials to the aire line, just not " made in USA".

It really is a toss up, all the major brand boats have good/bad.
FlyingDutchman, yes, bummer! If you or any employees there ever need any gear, give us a ring.

We did have floor issues on some 2008 boats, but it was an isolated incident and we've warrantied any issues that arose from that.

We've also since re-engineered the thwart knuckles to adhere better from the start, but for many outfitters that rarely remove thwarts, we just recommend fixed attachments. Less moving parts to worry about.

Hyside Inflatables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015   #22
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I would still say go with a '14er. Go with a good brand and get a used one. Noah's Arc (guide outfit on the Arkansas) always has a good deal at about $2500 of their used boats. A friend of mine got one and it was in great shape. I hauled a 14' in my Outback for years. Roll the boat and put it in the back and strap the frame on top (with the oars). Worked fine for me for years until I got a trailer. I have an 14' Aire. I really like Aire but they can be a pain to patch while geared up and on the river.

beanack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015   #23
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Very tempted to grab one of these is a handful of patches on a commercially used boat a BAD IDEA?

12' Maravia Wild Side
cschmidt1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015   #24
Jxn, Wyoming
Paddling Since: '89
12'? Sure, if you plan to buy a bigger raft in the next year or so...You'll outgrow at 12 footer in no time - even if it is just you and the girl right now. Tell you're friends what a great time you had and they'll want to go with on your next float. That's not to say smaller boats don't have their place in a fleet - people love sporty boats - but most of the folks I know who have smaller rafts also have a 14'-16' (or larger) raft for single/multi-night trips.

Maravia's are good boats, but so are Riken's, Hyside's, Avon's and NRS's. I'd try to find an older self-bailing one - even the 25+ year old boats still have another 20+ years of life in them if they are even remotely cared for.

Just my 2-cents. There's another recent thread on here about boat size, older boats, and tight budgets... And, by the looks of this thread, people with a little more money (than your budget) really like their pumas.
J_C_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015   #25
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1964
Chris ...look at my thread on rolling a puma...the is a guy ... johnovice that has a Non posted sitar 12ST he wants to sell... I looked at mini ax, outfitter 12, puma , and super puma as well ended up going with a newvSotar 12ST...also boat western CO and Utah.. let me know when you get your boat and maybe we can get a run together., I have same issue in needing something that is easy to transport...good luck...
dscott58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015   #26
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1964
Chris .. the other one I looked at was a Maravia Spider 13, narrow like the puma...cascade outfitters... it had
S a twist and some cosmetic issues??? I did not go with it because of rollability... but nice boat and good price.... I'm trying trying to figure how how I'm going g to make my Honda fit work for all this ...
dscott58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015   #27
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Your a guide...,,you got 2k to buy a boat.....mostly gonna be a paddle boat.......a oar rig for a few 2 night trips.

Well seems to me pro price on a brand new hyside mini max is very close to your budget.

1 new boat with warrenty ...get the color you want

2 great r2 paddle boat ....good r3-5 boat ....paddleboat was stated primary use.

3. Rolls small and light

4 ability to mount oar rig and do 2 night backpacker style overnights

5 excellent resale when you get your dream boat.

1 limited functionality as a oar rig

2 better for smaller loads R2 sweet spot

I love my min max.....very fun boat.....very versatile

good luck finding your first boat.

shredder-scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015   #28
glenwierd, Co.
Paddling Since: 05'
Originally Posted by cschmidt1023 View Post
After perusing these forums for awhile I have decided to join and ask the experts to help me find my first raft. To start the sizes I'm looking at are 11-13 foot range. I am looking for something that will be mostly paddled in Western CO/UT, but will also row it in the desert. I plan on mostly doing day trips, but want to be able to do 1 or 2 nighters. I'm ok with going in backpacking style for the time being. This is not the boat of my dreams I will have in ~10 years just something to hold me over until then. I'm very ok with going used (and probably have to) but don't want to end up throwing 2K down the toilet.

I am a poor raft guide/ski instructor so price is THE major factor. I don't have a truck or a trailer and can't afford one anytime soon, just a 99 subaru outback. If I can't strap the boat on top of the car I will have to roll it. I have room in my house/garage to store it indoors and inflated. I have been thoroughly checking Craigslist, KSL, and here to try and find a good used boat with no luck so far. Am I correct to assume early spring more quality used boats will be available?

All these factors point me towards an AIRE Super Puma or a Hyside Outfitter 12. But I haven't seen much used and the retail is a bit steep unless I qualify for pro deal (my boss only has an NRS catalog with NRS/Tributary). RMR looks pretty intriguing as I could afford one new, but I am open to almost any suggestions!

Thanks in advance,
Any luck on finding anything, hit me up if not shoot me a email at or text me @ nine seven zero 6 one 5 zero 0 one 1.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Panama Red is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015   #29
OTR, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman View Post
Green super puma on subaru
Nice shot at the Red Rose!
SKeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015   #30
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Ended up getting a 14' Trib on closeout, too good of a deal to pass up. It is bigger than I wanted, but now I won't have to upsize or rent 5-10 years down the road if I get a Grand permit.

Now I'm wondering what to do for a frame. In a perfect world it will be cheap, easily upgrade-able, and possible to break down for storage.

I would like to start with 2 bays just to be able to row Ruby Horsethief cheaply, but I want the option to eventually expand it (probably to 4). Is that a pretty easy thing to be able to do or do I need to suck it up and just buy a 3 or 4 bay frame?

The only frames I have ever rowed have (wood or diamond plate) floors in the rowers compartment, and the multi day frames I have rowed have diamond plate down the sides. I would like at least one of these features eventually. Is it pretty easy to make either or both of these upgrades in the future?

cschmidt1023 is offline   Reply With Quote