Old 07-31-2012   #11
Boulder, Colorado
I will be using it mostly for day trips, but I will also plan many multi day fishing trips in it.

I was thinking dry bags would do the job and would mean less weight. Think that would work?

FishPimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #12
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
There are some things that work well in drybags, some things fit better in dry boxes.

It's hard to keep potato chips or eggs intact in a drybag.
It's also nice to put hard/rigid/odd-shaped things in a dry box--kitchen equipment, spare parts, tools, etc.

Check out the York boxes from NRS for a good "starter" drybox.

MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #13
Boulder, Colorado
thanks for the suggestion I will check it out... I was thinking of putting alot of fragile food items on a storage rack the hangs in my cooler. A dry box is definitely something I want though.
Old 07-31-2012   #14
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I never liked the way cataract blades fit in the cataracts shafts, they wobble a lot. Which seems weird. I like the sawyer blades or even the carlisles fit better. If your not doing heavy whitewater a rubbermaid tote in a kitchen drybag would work perfect for you instead of a drybox.
Pool and a pond... Pond be good for you.
Stiff N' Wett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #15
Olympia, Washington
Paddling Since: 210
If you or your friends wear studded wading boots, some kind of mat on the floor of the raft might be a good idea. My raft has hard floors front and rear, but not for the rower. I took the welcome mat from my house and threw it in. First time my wife got in the boat, she said "I was wondering where the hell the welcome mat went." I have also seen people use the mats used in commercial kitchens.
orangeradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #16
Boulder, Colorado
So what does everyone think the best blade is for me to pair with my cataract shafts? I dont need anything too crazy but I really dont want to be disappointed, and it sounds like I will with the Carlisles. I also dont think I would be a fan of a loose fit and the Cataract blades wobbling...
Old 07-31-2012   #17
Boulder, Colorado
I really like the Sawyer dynelite blades, but that price point is a bit more than I was looking to pay for blades...

My friend really loves his cataract blades, any other blades you guys know of that float?
Old 07-31-2012   #18
Parker, Colorado
Since you are using DRE for the frame I really suggest getting that 3 Bay with double side rails and diamond plating. Makes it much easier to get in and out of the boat which I do frequently when fly fishing (photo). Also useful for rocket box storage on long trips. Second a dry box in the front bay too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13 - Boat Painting (Large).JPG
Views:	122
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	5008  
ColoradoJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #19
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Sawyer oars- shafts and blades. Mo better
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012   #20
The pro-v's are excellent blades; tough, float, very soft and quiet going in and out of the water. if you spring for the dyne's, don't overlook the shoal cuts.

multi-days out of a 13'er rigged for fishing are going to be tight, tight as it is so you will be packing light anyway. dry box will be really nice when you can get one but in the meantime a cheap ass cooler, buckets with gamma lids, action packer, etc. will work fine.

another spare oar is also handy just for having a good spot to ship your oar on both sides. don't forget the long handled rubber net!

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote