Fire Pan griddle - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-19-2016   #11

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2011
Really nothing, we only really started to notice I think after we had cooked the food and were trying to get some of the meat residue off. The warping got a little better once it had cooled. But maybe it was the combination of hot fire and then a slightly cool rain was falling.

Which reminds me, aside from trying to burn crud off, any great suggestions for cleaning? I was just going to set the griddle on our propane grill to heat up and grill brush off.

luckylauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2016   #12

lafayette or Grand Lake, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Which reminds me, aside from trying to burn crud off, any great suggestions for cleaning? I was just going to set the griddle on our propane grill to heat up and grill brush off.[/QUOTE]

After every trip I take a drill and a wire brush attachment to mine. Polish it up to shine again, than coat with cooking oil and season it in my BBQ grill for and hour at 350 degrees. Makes it almost nonstick for the next trip and prevents rusting. I always use non stick BBQ spray before cooking every time. I always carry a wire brush on trips for cleaning crud off.
Old 09-19-2016   #13

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Unless the bottom of the firepan is gusseted, meaning basically it floats and is not welded solid to the sides, it WILL warp. Making gussets is a lot more work, therefore a pricier product. Apply heat to three dimensions of any firepan - which is what you're doing to the sides and bottom when you use it - and you'll have warpage. If the bottom is gusseted, it allows the sides and bottom to "flex" in use but return to their original shape when cooled.
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2016   #14
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylauren View Post
Really nothing, we only really started to notice I think after we had cooked the food and were trying to get some of the meat residue off. The warping got a little better once it had cooled. But maybe it was the combination of hot fire and then a slightly cool rain was falling.

Which reminds me, aside from trying to burn crud off, any great suggestions for cleaning? I was just going to set the griddle on our propane grill to heat up and grill brush off.
I used to brush my grill all the time, till I read a post on mountain Buzz that pointed out the risks of getting a stuck piece of wire in your food. Sounds like a low likely hood, but a couple people a year get there guts punctured from this, and die if they don't get prompt surgery and antibiotics. Would be a crappy thing to have happen on a multi day,( or even at home really) so I just give my grill a good scrape with a steel spatula or my grill tongues. If the bottom ever gets to coated with gunk, I give it the same treatment and let the char in between burn off.

I think I have yet to see an expanded metal grill that is not warped, it seems to be the norm.
Old 09-19-2016   #15

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2011
Welp now I have a whole new concern regarding my grill.

Killing my friends via grill brush. Before my only grill brush concern was getting tetanus.

Thanks a lot.... internet!
luckylauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016   #16

Rock Springs, Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4otter View Post
Unless the bottom of the firepan is gusseted, meaning basically it floats and is not welded solid to the sides, it WILL warp. Making gussets is a lot more work, therefore a pricier product. Apply heat to three dimensions of any firepan - which is what you're doing to the sides and bottom when you use it - and you'll have warpage. If the bottom is gusseted, it allows the sides and bottom to "flex" in use but return to their original shape when cooled.

Exactly!!

WYO
GROH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016   #17
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckylauren View Post
Welp now I have a whole new concern regarding my grill.

Killing my friends via grill brush. Before my only grill brush concern was getting tetanus.

Thanks a lot.... internet!
Uhhh, yer welcome? Not the internet though, just Matt!

On the bright side, that's one less thing to pack if you just scrape the surface with a spatula, and less burning of the knuckles.
Old 09-19-2016   #18

glenwierd, Co.
Paddling Since: 05'
Extreme Heat to Extreme Cold?

VOTE DONNELLY!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1474329690656.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	12317  
Panama Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016   #19

lafayette or Grand Lake, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I must be na´ve. I always figured since every BBQ sales place sold brushes to clean the grills with, it must be safe to do so. Going to do more research on this subject for my own edification.
Old 09-19-2016   #20

Balled up tin foil makes a great grill scrubber. I've been using grill brushes in a commercial setting for decades and as far as I know have not killed anyone. We do however use much coarser brushes. The bristles are so big I can't imagine being able to swallow one.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Chefgallo is offline   Reply With Quote