Fat Cat to Cutthroat Transformation - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-06-2016   #1

Big Rapids, Michigan
Paddling Since: 2000
Fat Cat to Cutthroat Transformation

I bought a fat cat a few years ago. I'm going to get a Rowing frame for it, hence the cutthroat transformation, and have some questions.

After reading a gazillion other posts on this site, I've decided to get a custom Rowing frame that dissassembles for airline travel. I am considering a narrow frame, 18" between tubes. I don't plan on running in water more than class 3. Tubes are 12' long and 16" diameter.

I'd like oars that break down and are light for airline travel.

My questions are:. Do 7.5' oars seem about right?

Also, do I really need the polecat or cataract fullsize style whitewater oars? Or, considering I'm only running class 3, would smaller oars, like the Sawyer SST or cataract mini mags, suffice?

I thank you in advance for your help.

Pete

Pistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016   #2
over the horizon

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I run 7.5's (Smokers) on my cutthroat. Tubes are 12" apart, oar locks about 48" apart (that's the real dimension at work in determining oar length). They work great, but 8' would be a length I would like to try. For a really light boat like you're building, I would try the mini mags. Simplest solution first, right?
BmfnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I've been running the same set of mini mags for three years now. I've got a small cat the same length and width as a shredder, and the 7.5 ft oars move it easily. I beat them up really good as most of my rowing has been on rocky shallow stuff in the mid Atlantic, so far I've only got one shark bite in the blade from not minding my downstream oar. I really crank on my oars, surfing or trying to back ferry into the tough moves on the upper yough. I like the flex and spring the smaller oars give you and as long as its just you and not much gear, they do the job well.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016   #4

Big Rapids, Michigan
Paddling Since: 2000
Thank you for the replies. I was looking at polecat oars and they are beefy things. They look indestructible. I'm used to paddling around my fat cat with a kayak paddle I could snap over my knee without much effort.

I suppose if I did break an oar, I could pull the other good oar out of its lock and paddle on home with no problem.

Again, thanks for the help.

Pete
Pistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016   #5

Lawrence, Kansas
Hi Pete - I put a rowing frame on a SOAR, which is pretty narrow, and I used oar towers that kick out a bit so that I'd have more leverage on the oars. It's worked really well so far. Might be worth checking out.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/144493860@N02/w5Hv33
ktrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016   #6

peoria, Arizona
I run 7.5's - standard Carlisle - 14in between tubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol View Post
Thank you for the replies. I was looking at polecat oars and they are beefy things. They look indestructible. I'm used to paddling around my fat cat with a kayak paddle I could snap over my knee without much effort.

I suppose if I did break an oar, I could pull the other good oar out of its lock and paddle on home with no problem.
Pete
If you do anything permitted, the spare oar requirement comes into play so for most, you bring 3 oars anyway.
deadlizard is offline   Reply With Quote