Old 07-02-2013   #11
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Ya regular tubes definitely provide better water shielding for little kids, but why go rafting to stay dry :P

-ALEX [ youtube ][ my boat ][ ]
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013   #12
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
When I bought my current boat, I had the same quandary, I have the wife, 2 kids, 2 dogs and all the community gear for my little circle of friends. I went with the 15' Otter because of the price difference and wish I had gone 16'. The extra foot means that much more comfort for everyone, and really doesn't feel much different in the water, plus as stated the E16' is a sweet ride.

Fish Tank
Mr. Shlitzenturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013   #13
Billings, Montana
We paddled 16' Avon Pros on the New and Gauley and 18' Super Pros in AK. If your just doing multi day float trips the 16 is the way to go, but in technical whitewater and paddlers its a little tough to maneuver. I went with the 14' Avon Adventurer and will throw a Cat boat in the mix when more kiddos come along. My 3 yr old will probably be rowing my boat before I know it!
jwithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013   #14
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 1976
Originally Posted by kazak4x4 View Post
I would suggest going with a 16' with diminishing tubes. Diminishing tubes will give you extra room in the stern for more gear and more play space in the bow. I have a 16 foot Maravia (22" tubes diminish to 16" in the bow/stern). There is only my wife and my 10 year old son. We fit very comfy plus we have a ton of room for group gear.

If you are going to do multi day trips, you have to bring your own share of group gear, otherwise you are just another kayaker. So plan ahead and get yourself a gear hauler for the family and then another 14' cat for a playboat.
I have this exact setup with a Maravia Northwind and the 14x22 Maravia Cat. I added a ducky to quiver for more fun.

montana_field is offline   Reply With Quote