View Poll Results: Expert boaters running OarRights
Yes 49 42.24%
No 67 57.76%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2015   #1
Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Expert boaters running oar rights? POLL

I'm just wondering how many expert boaters are running rights?. I really like them and don't see myself losing them even if I ever get "expert". Thanks for participating.

1 Yes
2 No

ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #2
Denver-ish, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
By no means do I consider myself an expert. Nor will I ever no matter how many river miles I see. But I did vote. Oar Rights for life!

“HOLD THE DOOR!” — Hodor
yesimapirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #3
fun hog
D-go go, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
YES- after decades of private and professional boating excursions, my left elbow is fucking shot...I use rights for guiding boats all day in the busy season. My oar is always in a positive position. and it's just about the only thing I can count on being consistent when floating with custys...If your technique relies heavily on feathering then I guess it's not for you, but I'm all about making life easier when pushing commercials.
mountainjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #4
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I have a friend who cut his Oar Rights down shorter. He pulls the oars out and turns them when he's not in a rapid so he can feather. In a rapid, he rolls them back into the locked position. I tried it once, but didn't care for it. All that feathering made my wrists sore. I did have some commercial guides who tried to get me away from my Oar Rights (Oar Wrongs they called them) but they were not successful. Maybe it's just what I've gotten used to over the years. They might be "wrong", but they're "right" for me.
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #5
Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
In my experience there are advantages to both however there are a few things that make me lean towards oar rights so I keep them on my boat and often row open in other people's.

My carpal tunnel/tennis elbow does act up when I'm not using them as well.
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #6
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I am not an expert boater so I didn't vote...however I do run rights...On Ruby/HT last weekend I definitely noted their downside when in fierce wind...amazing how much wind an oar can catch!
I'd like to keep my wrists from injury though so I'll keep running them...FWIW
ManGearPig Lives!
LongmontRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #7
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
No expert but I hate them. Oar feathering is a real added power bonus and it is also advantageous in the wind as well. My oars barely leave the water on my big boat. They feel like handcuffs to me. That said, a lot of folks I run with use them
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #8
Rainy Northwest, Washington
Paddling Since: 1980
Oar rights

Don't use them generally, but it's just personal preference, probably because that's how I learned to row. I love feathering my oars, even underwater sometimes just for fun..

I do think about using them sometimes when running a small cat in the IV-V stuff when a single missed stroke can be a problem. Still haven't made up my mind.

People get way too twisted up over this stuff. Give me a boat and I'll run it.
swiftwater15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #9
Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Sorry, I probably shouldn't have used the word "expert". Please feel free to participate anyway. I know that beginners will nearly always use rights so there is no need to include beginners in the poll. The basis of my question is to find out if rights are supposed to be for beginners only and if I'm supposed to reach a point where I don't like them or don't need them. As I said in the orig post, I'm so comfortable with them that I don't see myself getting rid of them.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #10
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

tango is offline   Reply With Quote