No 67 57.76%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2015   #21
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1982
I prefer to feather.

Doubledown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #22
Ok, I haven't seen this issue addressed, so I will add my .02.

I stopped using oar rites a while back. One of the biggest benefits I that have seen from not using them, is that I hardly ever end up with callous on my palms anymore. Seeing as how I usually had to go through at least one, if not more than one, set of blisters before a decent callous would set in, I consider the current situation a big win.

The problem that I found I had with the oar rites was that without the shaft being able to turn, and give some way, the next weakest link in the chain was my wet palm skin. That would inevitably lead to the skin subcutaneously tearing and a callous forming... eventually.

After I started to use oar stops regularly , and got used to what I could do with them control wise, I stopped using my oar rites all together.

Just my opinion....

Plus someone owes me .02 for using the word subcutaneously in it's proper context........

BoscoBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #23
cedar city, Utah
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
Do what you like and what feels right for you. I don't think using Oar Rights has anything to do with whether you are a beginner or a long time rower.
Support. To each their own, tools in the tool box, etc.

I used them my first 5 years and then bailed on them about 75 miles into my first Grand canyon trip. They offer some advantage to me in clean rapids but when it comes to more turbulent water I find it an asset that my blade will give (change direction) before tweaking my shoulder too bad. I do miss strokes every now and again without oar rights but not much.

I tried them again recently on the Ark and was amazed at how unnatural they had become for me. I found them awkward, cumbersome and limiting in a way I would never had imagined 5 seasons ago. I just can't imagine using them myself in any rapid.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #24
Clancy, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
I’m not an expert spent 5 or six trips in pins and clips (rented boats browed) shared trips with friends (along to row on flat water) with oar rights.I now own my own boat, I like my training wheels.
PAU in a NRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #25
Oh, and the cost on them puppies can really add up also. The are currently up to $18.50 on the NRS per oar shaft.....

Oar Rights at

Seems to me that old Tom's products are getting a little steep in price for what they are.....

And, while I am whining about costs, on a related side note, the prices for a freakin' oar stop seem a little high to me also......

Plastic Oar Stoppers at

Anybody got a cheap line on oar stops? I adjust my oars a lot so the donuts are not really convenient for me.

BoscoBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #26
I just use one oar right, I don't know what y'all are talking about
Hi-N-Dry - Kayak Rolling Aid
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #27
Fort Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
As others have said - I don't consider myself an expert...
I have only used oar rights once and absolutely hated it. To me it was an unnatural movement and felt very jerky. The transition into and out of the water is much smoother for me feathering.
trevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #28
Paddling Since: 1994
I voted no because I dont. That said, some of the best boaters I know and by all means experts use them religiously. Its a preference thing. If they work for you then use them. I find open locks most useful in the wind, for subtle strokes while fishing and positioning on skinny water and when I'm close to other boats. Its nice to be able to rotate the oar, slice under their boat pop it up and get a stroke. It has come in handy time and time again on tight landings and such.
zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #29
Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1993
Don't let the mighty Rogue boaters see you with oar rights or pins and clips for that matter. Never seen so many class III bad asses talking down to people (me included) for running rights or pins n clips. Oh well...most of them havent run anything besides the Rogue and think it is a gnarly run. lol I am now running pins n clips on my rafts now but do run opens when I am drift boating. I really dont see why anyone should even give a damn. As long as you are out there having a safe and good time I dont care what kind of rig you are running.
Katboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #30
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
Expert. No.

For every time I've lost my feather there is another time I have recovered faster because I could feather.

That said, if running the steepest drops, the kind where you ditch your oar handles and hold on, pins and clips are the way to go. I don't see why anyone would pick oar rights over pins and clips. Pins and clips are way more bomber and have a built in oar keeper (the stirrup). Oar Rights are training wheels--they get you on the water until you can figure out how to stay mostly black side down, and then you can take them off when you do. If you don't see yourself in that kind of progression, just row pins and clips with pride.

jakebrown98 is offline   Reply With Quote