View Poll Results: Expert boaters running OarRights
Yes 49 42.24%
No 67 57.76%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2015   #11
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
I am not an expert whitewater rower, but spent a decade flat water rowing on the east coast and have whitewater rowed three seasons. Discovering oar rights on moving water was a game changer. Think how much you actually feather (which you can still do albeit with slightly less precision) vs. how much you actually stand or thrust your whole body's weight. On flat water (that doesn't move fight your every movement) they are not important because your motions are rhythmic, you want that fluid feathering, and there is not all that sudden force on your wrists. When you are going down a rapid with moving water pushing your blades around the oar rights make such a difference keeping the leveraging power as you shift your body weight by keeping the blades at that perfect vertical angle. This is especially clutch if you are not and expert whitewater boater.

"Ski bums need something to do in the summer, and river rats need something to do in the winter."
almortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #12
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by ob1coby View Post
Sorry, I probably shouldn't have used the word "expert". Please feel free to participate anyway. I know that beginners will nearly always use rights so there is no need to include beginners in the poll. The basis of my question is to find out if rights are supposed to be for beginners only and if I'm supposed to reach a point where I don't like them or don't need them. As I said in the orig post, I'm so comfortable with them that I don't see myself getting rid of them.
Do what you like and what feels right for you. I don't think using Oar Rights has anything to do with whether you are a beginner or a long time rower.

"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #13
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I cheated by getting the convertible oar rights so I can do both. Flip the tongue up when it's windy to be able to feather, and lick them down during all whitewater. Otherwise I'd go pure oar rights if I had to choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
rockmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #14
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
There are oar rights now that the "keeper" or "key" is hinged and flips up and out of the way to allow either option.
I have for a long time disliked oar rights. I kind of thought of them as training wheels. This spring I floated the Grand and I think I rowed all but 5 miles of the trip. Anyway we rented boats from REO and they came equipped with Oar Rights. I was going to turn mine around as soon as I found that they were a hindrance. I actually ended up leaving them on and became very fond of them for that style of rowing. I am going to put the convertible style on a new white water set up I am putting together. I loved not missing any oar strokes when I couldn't afford to. But absolutely everyone's mileage will vary.

Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #15
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Can't stand oar rights. So limiting. And when you get your oar caught in that big eddy behind a rock….good luck.

My wrists never hurt. Never even gotten tired and I feather a lot and don't work out when not rowing. At least upper body.

The only possible use I have heard of for oar rights is when surfing in a cat to be able to barely dip an oar for corrections without having it twist out of your hand. And that is a legit use. But I have no cat…..
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #16
seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Lol at any expert using oar rights. Everbody knows pro's use pins and clips.
bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #17
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by bucketboater View Post
Lol at any expert using oar rights. Everbody knows pro's use pins and clips.
YOu keep bringing the funny lately. I like it.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #18
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Pro-loks also give you the option of locks and they will bump out easily saving oar blades.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #19
Originally Posted by swiftwater15 View Post

I do think about using them sometimes when running a small cat in the IV-V stuff when a single missed stroke can be a problem. Still haven't made up my mind.

People get way too twisted up over this stuff. Give me a boat and I'll run it.
This!!! Oar Rights, Pro-Loks or Pins and Clips when EVERY stroke counts!
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #20
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
If I'm in the middle of a rapid and have an oar pop out, or whatever, I want to know that the next, potentially critical, stroke I make will be effective. Call 'em "training wheels" or whatever, I'll stick with the oar rights. That said, I may get some of the convertible ones so I can feather the oars when rowing flatwater against the breeze. Maybe if I'd learned with free oars I'd be proud and smug about free oars...

I don't know if I classify as "expert" but I get the idea.

(Chickenshit Boaters Association member in good standing)

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote