Old 08-10-2014   #21
Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by tadb View Post
Neither one is a kitchen box. I have a table that I strap down to the top of my load. First I make sure all the gear underneath is fastened down in such a way that if I flip, I won't lose anything. Then I take the table and strap it down over the top of that, and then if I have any miscellaneous gear like chairs or things that people say "does anyone have room for this", I strap that to the top of table.
In regards to the way the boxes, they do only go in one way. The front box opens with the lid opening to the back of the boat so the passengers can get into it when ever they want. Just make sure there is enough space between the box lid and the ice chest lid so they can both open. The back box is set in backwards of what you would think, opening towards me, so that the seat doesn't conflict with the gear behind me, and I can get into it anytime I want.
I have to admit that looking at that picture you just posted, if that flipped in anything of consequence - I doubt that gear hump would remain intact. Anyone else care to comment on that? Or is that setup (and rigging) only on water where that would be unlikely?

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great."
Read_N_Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014   #22
Gold Beach, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1999
That is a typical load for me, but I've never flipped with a load like that. There is a strap through everything, and it's cinched down as tight as I can get it, and then the table is cinched down on top of that as tight as I can get it. Time will tell if it works. There are two types of rafters, "Those that have flipped, and those that are going to flip". My hope is that when I flip, the load may not stay in the same place, but hopefully everything stays with the boat.

tadb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014   #23
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1979
Another inexpensive option

I have used the Gold's Gym workout floor material from Walmart with good success both both the bottom and top of my dry boxes. It is .5" thick and tough as do have a joint in the middle of the dry box cover but it is holding up well after 3 years of use. Very inexpensive but tough and does not absorb any water.

Gold's Gym 6 Piece Puzzle Mat -

bgarnick is offline   Reply With Quote