Old 07-02-2013   #11
The Russian
SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
You might want to look at Canyon Coolers as well, if you are looking at Engel and Yeti

Premium Coolers, Canyon Coolers

What Avatard says I agree 100%, the lids on more expensive coolers is what you are paying money for. Hard solid dance platform!

-ALEX [ youtube ][ my boat ][ ]
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013   #12
Owner: Class 5 Carvings
The Fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Ya I just checked them out, I like them, and they have the dimensions I want, which some of the other brands didn't, plus the price is great, well better anyway, not to mention I couldn't find the dimensions on Engel's site whats up with that???

P the K
Paul the Kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013   #13
Prineville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
Canyon was my first choice. They are sold out in the size I need, and most sizes for that matter.... and forget about white. I got 10 xtra quarts, a divider and free shipping with the Engel for the same price. Speaking about lid strength: pretty sure I read Engel's had i-beam construction and is certified bear proof. Not to mention they have some sweet-ass custom seat cushions you can get that would probably increase insulation(foam).
BryanS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013   #14
Prineville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
For dimensions go into additional information. Very detailed measurements.
BryanS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013   #15
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
The biggest consequence I've witnessed, in my experience, with a cheaper cooler is to watch what happens when you have a 250lb burley dude jump aboard your raft and land on the lid.

But I don't believe it when someone says their $99 cooler works just as good as a $399 one. Especially since I've seen $99 seven day coolers with nothing more than air in their lid. However, you keep it covered with a wet white towel and in the shade you may get acceptable performance

Btw I've got too many coolers. If anyone is in Portland and wants a marine igloo 94 I've got one I'll sell
A lot of it is taking care of it and cooler management for sure, but I can tell you that at the end of several 7 day trips, we still had ice while others had cool water at best. Ours is stored under a captains seat, and we do try to keep it covered and wet. However, even when we forgot to bring a towel, we still had ice on day 7. All I can speak from is my personal experience.

I'm 210, and I step on the lid occasionally, but it would be hard to jump on given it's under the seat. Maybe 250 is the breaking point, but I don't plan to test that if I can avoid it. I see your point, but as others have pointed out, I can buy 4 of mine for the price of the one of the pricer coolers. If some 250 pound dude does break my lid, I'll buy another.

And I did drain my cooler on my last 7 day trip. Ooops! LOL
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013   #16
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
+1 on Canyon coolers. I have two of them. A 105 and a 52. Both are sturdy and hold ice very well. The selling factors for me were sizes that no one else carries, and slightly lower prices. I searched forever for the biggest cooler that would fit my frame, and not kill my wallet. Canyon had what I was looking for.It is true that they are hit and miss on availability and color choices.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013   #17
seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
[QUOTE=BoilermakerU;325147]I have an Igloo cooler, and it's held ice as well as the Yeti that our friends have.

I used to think I need a Yeti or Engle, but I've been really happy with the Igloo, and I have a couple of smaller Colemans as well.

Do you have the 150 quart igloo wiith the convenient quick access hatch,what a pos. My buddy had one,first time he flipped he lost a bunch of food and the rest was ruined by river water. Personally id rather by a product once and be done for ten plus years. You get what you pay for, colemans and saturns are cheap for a reason.
bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013   #18
Evergreen, Co.
I have the Engel 123, the thing that bugs me about it is feet in the corners. It's a PITA to slide across rough surfaces when loaded. I also have a canyon cooler (smooth bottom which is lovely) which is half the size of the Engel and works as good as the Engel at keeping things cold.
My opinion is shop your desired size in both and buy the one you get the best deal on.
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013   #19
The Old Troll
Gypsum, Colorado
10% better cost 40% more
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013   #20
seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Originally Posted by David Miller View Post
10% better cost 40% more
I wish that were true. Sure would be easier on the wallet to surf the costco/walmart websites for gear instead of nrs/cascade. Btw have you seen rubbermaids new line of dryboxes?

bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote