Old 10-22-2010   #21
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
If you use tables as sleeping platforms, do you take down tables after dinner and set them back up for breakfast???

Yeah that 'ill happen about once. "Excuse me, I need to take my table home to sleep on it". Then someone wakes you up so they can make breakfast on it.

Do yourself a favor and be sure not to utilize your table for any planned sleeping arrangements.

I have plywood decking on my side rails, as well as over the front bay of four. About ten lbs worth of 2x4 scraps go up on edge and shim the sides and front up even with the dry box and cooler. one extra piece of ply to cover the foot well and all of a sudden you've got a 6'x8' platform. It floats fine rigged up high, as long as there is no wind.

The mega mid on a pair of oars is GENIUS. I've always written them off due to the post in the middle. Might have to get one those, lor the go lite version...

I only rigged it like this once, and neglected to take a picture.

Be sure to rig a tether for your pillow and some leashes on the corners of your sleeping bags so you don't lose it in the wind.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010   #22
Austin, Texas
Paddling Since: 1990
If you use tables as sleeping platforms, do you take down tables after dinner and set them back up for breakfast???
That is the only thing that sucks Rich!I don't sleep in.... but I don't wake at 1st light and don't drink coffee but I do drag my self up to get my table back to the kitchen

liquidphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010   #23
-, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I dont get it

Originally Posted by liquidphoto View Post
Not sure if you have bought a tarp, but I use a Black diamond "Mega-mid" (a floorless tent) Take the oars cross wiseand cam strap them down tight, then use short cam straps from ea. corner to the end of the oar. I have used this prob 60 nights on rivers. Very bomber and you still have acess to your drag bag, potty in the middle of the night with out getting up and walking to the rio in the dark and on Grand trips or any trip where it is hot on the beach, it is allways sand free, level, and cooler at night to sleep on the raft! I had Jack make my Paco pad years ago for the frame i fabracated for my 18' Aire Lepord Cat. It is a sick set up.
My boat is the cocktail boat as well!!
Enjoy, and good luck!

I dont understand what you are describing. If the oars are crossed and strapped down tight, where is there any flat space to sleep on? Wouldn't you be lying on top of a set of crossed oars?

My wee brain just isnt getting it btu I want to know more!

heytat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010   #24
Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
The short answer is yes. The qualifying statements are that it works better on a small crew trip, like just the GF and I, and we won't set it up again in the morning.

We don't exercise the option often, but there is value in having the option.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010   #25
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
Good with a welder? Here's eric the hater nourse's hammock set up..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 Summer Pics 090.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	810.6 KB
ID:	3049   Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 Summer Pics 094.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	517.1 KB
ID:	3050  

FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010   #26
Durango, Colorado
Here is a link to a thread already on MB. Mine is the red boat, it's not elevated, but after around twenty nights on it we are pretty happy. The kitchen table is the first layer/seat that comes off and goes on the beach. No issues with sleeping in. (Unless you have the cream in the cooler!)

greenwater780 is offline   Reply With Quote