Dutch oven double cooking - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-20-2016   #1

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Dutch oven double cooking

350f is 9 on the top and 15 on the bottom for a single. How do you work that when you want to stack them and do the same heat?

Advertisement

Old 07-20-2016   #2
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Stacking for me only works if it can take some heat from the bottom. Ie: fairly high moisture content of items to be baked.

And rotate every 10 or 15 minutes.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016   #3

Eagle, Idaho
What I have been told, and tried with mixed success, is that the upper dutch will trap more heat in the lower so if you want 350 degree you go 9 bottom/9 top/15 top. I have often had to add a few more coals in the middle to get the bottom dutch up to temp though.
Grifgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2016   #4
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
350 degrees with 12" is 16 on TOP and 8 on the bottom. The reason for twice as many on top is to roughly equal the heat rising and to envelop the food. When I have stacked (as many as four) I start with the same number on the bottom and only place a few, maybe half as many, in between. In the wind or during colder weather I add extra. It becomes less scientific. I just kinda feel around the stack. Rotating everything around frequently helps a lot. When the ovens are different sizes and getting smaller going up, I also place a few extra coals on the edges not being overlapped. I can't really say I know what I'm doing but it has always worked out.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016   #5

Niwot, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
350 degrees with 12" is 16 on TOP and 8 on the bottom. The reason for twice as many on top is to roughly equal the heat rising and to envelop the food. When I have stacked (as many as four) I start with the same number on the bottom and only place a few, maybe half as many, in between. In the wind or during colder weather I add extra. It becomes less scientific. I just kinda feel around the stack. Rotating everything around frequently helps a lot. When the ovens are different sizes and getting smaller going up, I also place a few extra coals on the edges not being overlapped. I can't really say I know what I'm doing but it has always worked out.
So what do you use for a double stack for 350 on both?
Old 07-20-2016   #6

New Castle, Colorado
I guess I only think of the number of briquettes on top and bottom as a rough baseline. Under ideal conditions I would probably only put about 5 or 6 in between initially. I do the stack when I am cooking for a lot of people and have a limited number of briquettes, like on a weeklong trip. I cook for a long time, like an hour and a half, for a giant lasagna and need to keep adding over time. I will have a small pile ashing over in the corner of the firepan which is also adding heat to the stack. As the briquettes burn down and I am adding fresh ones the numbers go out the window.

If I were only cooking in two Dutch ovens and the meals cooked in a single batch of coals, I wouldn't bother with the stack to save a few briquettes.
Old 07-20-2016   #7

Niwot, Colorado
Who said it was in order to save briquettes - it's for the fun of seeing a double stacked dutch oven cooking config. Figure I'll start small and then work my way up to the "Flying Wallendas" level
Old 07-20-2016   #8

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I've always looked at it as putting all your eggs in one basket. I'd hate to loose a whole dinner, but I'm a clutz sometimes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016   #9

New Castle, Colorado
We are cooking for 30+ people on the river this weekend. It is looking like a lasagna cook off is happening. Probably 5 lasagnes plus loaves of bread and desserts. We will be stacking simply because we won't have enough firepan space not to.

And, it IS fun!