Drysuits 101 - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-02-2016   #21

Hillsboro, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
The difference between Gore and PU (most everything else) is barely perceptible. My NRS Triton suit is awesome and stil works great after hundreds of uses rafting and ducking. Under $500 on sale.

Where are seeing this under $500?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

mts3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2016   #22
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by mts3212 View Post
Where are seeing this under $500?

Every fall when everything goes on sale. You won't get a price like this in April or May probably. I've seen NRS suits on closeout for under $500 every year for a decade, you just have to watch and be ready.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016   #23

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
so picture this.. I was set on the thought that I would not be able to afford a drysuit this year, but I found a deal that is making me think twice. New Kokatat gtx front entry for 599, but it has latex ankle gaskets and no relief zip. Is that worth it??
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016   #24
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1coby View Post
so picture this.. I was set on the thought that I would not be able to afford a drysuit this year, but I found a deal that is making me think twice. New Kokatat gtx front entry for 599, but it has latex ankle gaskets and no relief zip. Is that worth it??
No. Relief zipper and socks are worth hundreds!
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016   #25

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Quote:
No. Relief zipper and socks are worth hundreds!
Yea, that's what I figured. I can probably have Kokatat add socks, but I doubt they will add a relief zip. Even so it may not be cost effective compared to buying a new one.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016   #26

Hillsboro, Oregon
Quote:
Every fall when everything goes on sale. You won't get a price like this in April or May probably. I've seen NRS suits on closeout for under $500 every year for a decade, you just have to watch and be ready.

Ah I see. Being from Oregon we are approaching the end of the dry suit season so thought now would be the time to look. Guess I'll look again in the fall as cold weather boating starts again. Never would have thought to look for deals at the beginning of the season.

mts3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016   #27

north little rock, Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1coby View Post
Yea, that's what I figured. I can probably have Kokatat add socks, but I doubt they will add a relief zip. Even so it may not be cost effective compared to buying a new one.
You can usually find good deals on Boatertalk (mostly used) and through Kayak Academy (they usually offer new and used ones). I can't say enough good things about KA and I know many others would agree. Two years ago I bought a NWT Kokatat Hydrus with socks and relief zipper from them for $500 shipped. The Hydrus is advertised as marginally less breathable than Gore Tex. That's supposed to be the only difference. Still breathable (I can't personally perceive a difference compared to Gore) and carries the same warranty. Note, this is the Hydrus material, not Tropos. People often confuse the two. Well worth considering if you don't envision rough use.
lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016   #28
18' Kodiak

None Ya Creek, The Last Best Place...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mania View Post
For any serious cold weather whitewater you will want the Kotatat gore-tex drysuit with built-in socks, relief zipper and latex gaskets. Hands down the best although you might need to take out a second mortgage. Think about this though, you spend $2 - $4k on a raft/cataraft setup just add another $1k for a decent drysuit if you want to extend your season.
^^^ Ya, what Mania said sums it up. Save up and buy one good one, it will last a long time. I picked up a Kokatat Expedition a while back and I'll tell ya what, hands down worth every penny. It has everything Mania mentioned above.
evL_MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016   #29

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I haven't seen the need for a dry suit yet. Maybe I dont know what Im missing but when Ive done winter/cold weather rafting I wear my Neoprene NRS booties with my neoprene pants and top. I sometimes wear splash gear over the neoprene.

I have never thought about a dry suite bc neoprene has always worked well for me when I use to surf. I actually cut my old surfing wet suit in half (and sewed up the edges) so I can wear just the tops or just the bottoms when I want to.

I one time went rafting when it was snowing and I just wore my sandals and neoprene pants, when stretches of flat water come around I just pull out my puffy jacket and wool socks and warm up between rapids. Dry suit might be nice but a neoprene will keep you warm if you swim and a puffy in a dry bag will warm you up if your really cold. I also recommend whisky
Treswright3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016   #30

SeaTown, NW
I bought my kokatat hydrus 3l for 600 brand new from kayak academy. Pretty dam good value
nastysauce is offline   Reply With Quote