Old 01-22-2014   #1
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
drysuit for the masses?

Not sure if this info has been posted here.
Sobek - America's lowest-price drysuit for kayak, canoe, raft and SUP – Mythic Gear

johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #2
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
Seems like I can't edit (once I logoff), so second post.
There has been some discussion on about this including the manufacturer chiming in.
Target customer is someone who doesn't need bomber.
Some discussion of lack of covering over the gaskets -- more prone to damage with potentially nasty results if the damage occurs at the same time as a cold swim.
Also, for now, the sizing is limited -- if you are over 6' for example, foget about it.

johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014   #3
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
If you cant afford an expensive drysuit, you might as well buy a wetsuit from NRS with a windbreaker, and underarmor top and bottoms. Affordable wetsuits are much more durable than the best drysuits. on NRS you can buy wetsuits with flexible shoulders, a front zipper, and zippers on the cuffs and calves for easy entry. I am a packrafter that does winter expeditions. I much more prefer a 3 or 4 mm wetsuit for durability, especially when I spend time removing wood from creeks and bushwacking through the streamside briars while scouting. Surfers in the Great Lakes prefer 4mm wetsuits for freezing temps, than drysuits.
dirtydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014   #4
Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I have a really big OS Systems drysuit that is over ten years old now. It is at OS right now getting "the works". I paid something like 400 for it back then new, and it came with full latex feet instead of ankle gaskets. I have been extremely happy with the suit, it's seen lots of river miles. A fair amount of my boating was coastal stuff, smaller rivers where a portage included crashing brush in dense forest.
I knew it had one pinhole leak, but they also found two other spots that needed attention. They are going to repair 2 leaks, and re-sew a section of the butt reinforcement then re-seal the interior of the sewn area. They said they would do all of the additional repair work at no additional cost. I am extremely happy with OS Systems. To me, a drysuit as about as important as a boat, maybe more. (Especially when you are an inflatable kayaker for years and years)
I had a Kokatat before the OS Systems, and it was okay. I had a crotch blowout when it was about 2 years old, and Kokatat repaired it for me for free. It took them longer than expected, and I ran the Jarbidge in May without a drysuit. (That sucked!) The material on my OS System Non-breathable is much better than the non-breathable Kokatat material.
Kokatat is a pretty good company, and all of my buddies have the Gore-tex Kokatat suits, some are as old as my OS. I paid a lot less for my suit, and I am extremely satisfied. I love the fact that they are located in Oregon, and you can drop you suits off at Andy & Bax and OS will pick your suit up there. Yes, I could ship it for cost of fuel, but then I wouldn't get to walk around the boat showroom and BS with Riley.
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014   #5
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2002
The exposed latex is a No-Go even at that low price. Fixing latex is a huge pain. Maybe if you only boated easy water in coastal PNW, but the sun would eat that thing up with a quickness in the southwest. I dry my gear in the shade if I can help it...
jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #6
Rockport, Maine
The manufacturer replies

Thanks for this discussion. No argument, Mythic's low-price suits aren't for everyone, and if you can afford a Kokotat, Level 6, or similar, then by all means you'll probably be happier with the higher quality. Ours are several hundred dollars cheaper than anyone else's, and paddlers probably understand that compromises are involved. We feel we offer a good product and excellent value for the money, but if you need something bomber, it's probably not for you.
The wetsuit-vs.-cheap-drysuit question is a matter of opinion, and I've been on both sides of that fence. A wetsuit is indeed more durable, and for some, that's a fair tradeoff against being wet and only semi-warm. I used a wetsuit for years, but when I finally decided to go dry last year, I couldn't find anything that I thought was priced reasonably for my needs -- and that's what led to the formation of this company.
Regarding UV exposure due to the lack of overcuffs: we don't think it makes much difference unless you spend a LOT of time in the suit, like a professional guide would. Most suits spend 98% of their time at home, and if you store it in a dark closet, that'll provide sufficient UV protection to keep them supple for a few years. Fabric overcuffs do provide protection against mechanical hazards, and we might add them to a future model that will cost more. But for now, if someone needs a drysuit and they have only limited resources, compromising on some "nice to have" features can make a lot of sense.
Bob Holtzman
Mythic Gear
MythicGear1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #7
Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I am impressed with your honesty. Good luck in your venture

Wishing I was on the river instead of surfing the web...
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote